My luv affair with Avira is over.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Say it isn't so. :eek: ;) :p o_O :gack:

My 8 year love affair with McAfee VirusScan ended back in October of last year. :p :'(

2. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

LOL, or the big yellow system slowing memory hog of a program.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :'( :'(

Actually, the last version is not that dreadful, the folks at Norton finally paid some atention to users' screams of agony.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I bet trjam's computer is on the point of a nervous breakdown :D

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

More like nervous SYSTEM breakdown. :D

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nope, me and my shadow, ahh, I mean PC, are just fine, thank you.:rolleyes:

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A month has gone by already. :D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i beat you to that comment on another thread:D
    lodore

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Time flies, when you are scanning with Nod32.;)

It was a tough call though, because I tried F-Prot on my laptop and really like it. They really have a great deal to. I have no doubt that by years end, the "whole" team at Frisk will have it contending with the top 3. But Nod is really good and light. And will use Prevx for added coverage until I see what their suite has in it.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi TRJAM,

It was a tough call though, because I tried F-Prot on my laptop and really like it. They really have a great deal to. I have no doubt that by years end, the "whole" team at Frisk will have it contending with the top 3.
    End Quote

I hope you are correct, but I'll believe that when I see it. I have no doubt with IC there it will keep improving, but not to that extent. I was pleased to see it at the Advanced level, but so is Avast Home.
    I may trial it soon just to see how it runs on my system.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

He is not serious, doesn't he? I mean, his contradicted comments and......one day nod32, next day avira, then one month turned into one day...:D

PrevX?? o_Oo_Oo_O

12. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I believe on short term Avira is great. Is seems to have great detection rate. But than you see there are a lot of false positives as well.

It misses things and the program will hang more often at the mail anti virus

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've been in love with Avira too. But I have had to deactivate the Guard and cannot use Avira at all except for the scanner for right click scans on individual files.

Avira accesses my floppy drive every sixty seconds and never stops until I deactivate the Guard. This started last night after I used Nero to burn a CD. That was the first time I had used Nero since I got Avira in January. I also accessed the floppy drive for the first time last night since getting Avira. One or both of those actions triggered Avira to scan the floppy drive every minute. While I was sleeping, Avira was busily accessing the drive A every minute. Today when I got on the computer and placed a floppy in the drive, I was asked if I wanted to format the floppy. Ugh. It was a known good floppy with data on it. I had just confirmed this by putting it in my other computer's floppy drive. I put it in the other computer's drive again and the computer read the floppy just fine. I tried several more known good floppies in the XP computer and each time was asked if I wanted to format the floppy. The drive is dead and with the last floppy, I couldn't get it out. The eject button was not working. I finally got it out and the eject button since then has been totally frozen.

I ran Process Monitor which confirms that Avira is accessing the floppy drive every sixty seconds. Apparently, Nero triggered Avira doing this. Avira says that Nero can't be used with Antivir! But Nero has not been running all day yet Avira continues to scan the floppy drive (or tries to as there is no floppy in there as I cannot insert a floppy now) every minute. I found that accessing my hard drive information in Everest triggers Avira to scan the floppy drive immediately...why? I was accessing the HARD drive so why scan the floppy drive?? Accessing the Sensor in Everest also triggers Avira to immediately scan the floppy drive. Accessing the same in SIM also triggers an immediate scan. If I access the SMART tab in Speed Fan that triggers an immediate scan of the floppy drive. Of course, Avira is still scanning the floppy drive every 60 seconds in addition to these other triggered scans.

There is a thread about this currently in the Avira forum. So far, Avira is claiming that it not Avira scanning the floppy drive. But it is because I have seen with my own eyes what System Monitor is showing. Plus, once I deactive the Guard there is blessed silence (the whirring sound of the A drive being accessed every minute was driving me nuts) and no light coming on the drive and nothing recorded in System Monitor.

This is a very serious bug. My floppy drive was only a year old and I can't help but think accessing it every minute all the time I slept and ate breakfast before I got on the computer today is likely what killed it. I would have deactivated the Guard last night but at that time I wasn't positive it was the Guard doing this as Avira claims it isn't.

At any rate, my love affair appears over also.

Attached Files:

14. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Wow that's a seriosu bug.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Shutting the computer down and then cold booting stops avira from accessing the floppy drive every 60 seconds. I never shut my computer down though. It runs 24/7 unless I go on vacation.

After I verified that shutting the computer down completely, Waiting 5 minutes, and then cold booting stops this activity from avira, I tried triggering the activity by opening Everest and clicking on Hard Drive and that did nothing. Clicking on sensor didn't trigger it either. Then I opened SIW and clicked on SMART and that did not trigger avira. I then tried starting Speed fan and clicking on the SMART tab and nothing. Through all this the floppy drive remained silent.

Then I started Nero and burned a data disk. I waited. I surfed the internet. The floppy drive was totally silent. I tried putting a floppy in the drive but the drive didn't start and I had an awful time getting it out since the eject button is frozen.

Still, nothing from avira. Then I started Everest and the moment it started BEFORE I clicked on anything BINGO! Avira accessed the floppy drive. I noticed Speed Fan wasn't running ...I didn't remember closing it but I guess I did accidently. So, I started it and before I could even think of clicking on the SMART tab, avira accessed the floppy drive. Of course, avira has been accessing the floppy drive every sixty seconds since I first started Everest and these accesses when I started SIW and Speed Fan were additional accesses of the floppy drive.

So, I had to disable the Guard again as I don't want to have to cold boot again right now. With all the tabs that have to load when I start Fx again (I never shut it down either) booting is a real hassle.

Something in avira code is causing avira, after burning a disk using Nero 6 Ultra edition (I don't know if happens on 7), to access the floppy for weird reasons like starting Everest or starting Speed Fan and then it seems to be stuck in a perpetual access every 60 seconds until a cold boot is performed.

According to others in the thread at Avira forums, Nero 7 also triggers this AS DOES ANY PROCESS THAT ACCESSES THE FLOPPY DRIVE. According to several posters, the only solution is to keep a floppy in the floppy drive at all times! That's nuts!

So far, for me the trigger is using Nero to burn a disk but other processes that access the floppy drive are causing this for others. I am not giving up Nero as I have tried just about all free and paid burning products and Nero is the ONLY ONE that has worked with nary one problem for me.

Yeah...I'd say this is a show stopper of a bug. But I don't think Avira realizes how serious this is. They say that the Guard is designed to access the floppy anytime a process accesses it. But the kicker is that Everest, Speed Fan, etc. do not access the floppy drive ...at least I have never had the floppy drive light come on, etc. when starting those applications in the past...they only trigger avira to scan the floppy drive when they are started if I have FIRST burned a disk using Nero and have not, after burning, shut the computer down and done a cold boot.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is this process monitor?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  17. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Be careful with Process Monitor. It has some bugs and when I tried to save the data it caused Windows to resize my paging file (only time that has ever happened) which denied memory to several processes while Windows was doing this and caused them to crash. One of the Avira techs got a BSOD when using PM to try and reproduce what several of us are seeing. I also had Process Explorer running as you can work with them together to trace things. But those two really eat the RAM on my computer if running them together...worse than File Monitor.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks ggf31416 and Mele.

20. VahlefeldD

VahlefeldD Registered Member

Dear All,
    I liked reading this thread so far to somehow get comparison aspects between different AVs or Suites. Many people said things like "I like AV, because of..." "I dislike it cause it..." and so on. Would it maybe be possible for someone to create a list of pro and contras of what he thinks about the different softwares?

Its very confusing to see what people like and dislike and not to see what is really good and what is not.

Regards...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.