My Linux CD's arrived today.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chuck57, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

SimplyMepis, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, and Freespire. FreeSpire isn't a live CD so not sure if I can run it as one. Have to do some checking on that.

The first one I tried was Mepis, and it's a no go. After 3 tries, I kept getting two images of mouse pointer and background, and the print was so small, I couldn't read it to even log in.

Knoppix, which I'm currently using at this moment is, so far, great. Printer was recognized immediately via KDE. Set up, printed test page and all colors are correct. I'll run it most of the day, and then try PCLinux, then play with both for a week or two each, and more Ubuntu before I make a decision. I'm also interested in downloading Wolvix Hunter to check it out.

A few years ago, I swore off Linux as too difficult. I'm back, big time.

Now, got to go figure out how the devil Wine works and exactly what I can do with it. Not sure if it's supposed to read my XP or what.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Welcome back to Linux. Post here or at http://www.pclinuxos.com/ & get aquainted, ask questions, search or lurk. Just like here, PCLOS has a great forum & is Linux n00b friendly. Heck I've been treated great here & there.

Oh yeah they call PCLinuxOS
    :D

3. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

@zapjb

Would value your opinion as to which of the current distros would be the easiest to learn, taking into account :-

1. Only ever used Windows

2. Old man with downward learning potential........ :)

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In my humble opinion, PCLinuxOS is the best experience for someone new to Linux. It simply works out of the box in all major respects, where other distros typically require some manual tweaking and work. And the live cd let's you have a look at no risk also. Try it, you won't be disappointed... :)

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@kennyboy

Yes ime/o PCLinuxOS is the easiest.

Be sure to visit the PCLOS forum for specific answers.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Just like here at Wilders they're real friendly.

6. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Thankyou both. I will do that asap.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@kennyboy
    You're welcome. After about ~4 momnths on PCLinuxOS. I use win XP 2% or less. I use PCLOS 98%+. And half the time or more I'm on XP (the 2%), I'm updating security software. :D

8. Chuck57

Knoppix is very easy, too and it's really a toss up between PCLinuxOS, Knoppix and Ubuntu. PCLinux and Knoppix are easier to configure my printer with and, as I said, Knoppix got it first thing.

I'm really disappointed with Mepis, since I've read that it's the easiest of all, but either I got a bad CD or it doesn't like this computer.

Freespire is the only one that found my sound card, but overall I'm not impressed.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That can happen with Linux distros... I ran Mepis for a while without problems and liked it well enough, but sometimes you run into one that just doesn't like your hardware or setup.. Also, a distro may run fine, but a subsequent release may have problems again. It's trial and error a lot of the time...

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    My experience tells me:
    Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS most likely...
    But bear in mind that ALL distros are pretty much the same under the hood. It's the same command line ... and once you get the hang of it, it's no different than drinking beer, just different flavors.
    Mrk

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The removalist truck with the user manuals will probably arrive next week!:D

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I guess so. Mepis is running great on my comp, zero issues so far. while PCLOS had some small, yet annoying issues with the firewall, screensavers, and font rendering. But I liked it enough that it is still in my rotation.

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

So did you ask anywhere for help on the PCLOS problems ? IMO 10 min. worth of work should fix those things. That type of stuff crops up on all Distro's, its not Distro specific.

Ahh yes, key words there Mrkvonic. Linux is Linux, just different ways of doing things, it comes down to what you like. I'm a KDE guy, I like PCLOS and PC-BSD.

For those interested in Linux, the Distro's aimed at new users aren't limited to that area...as Mrkvonic points out "ALL distros are pretty much the same under the hood. It's the same command line"

Happy Linux :)

14. Chuck57

On my computer, Mepis starts the loading process fine, until the login screen, then there are two of them that overlap, with two mouse pointers, extremely tiny and very blurred lettering that shows on the login screen.

I've tried all the options in a list that loads fine prior, default, even minimal installation for older computers. I'm thinking it's a video card or driver it doesn't like. That's life. At least the CD only cost a couple of bucks, so no huge loss. I got the Ubuntu disc free from them, so it balances out.

Downloading Wolvix Hunter right now, and will burn that to CD (since it was politely explained to me how to do it) and give it a try. I'd like to try other distros but hate the download time for Gig and larger size programs, so buy the discs for a $1.95 (most) for the big ones.

PCBSD, which I gritted my teeth and downloaded was nice, but again, no printer which I don't understand since they use the same software as Linux. Same with PCLinux and Knoppix. CUPS and hplip, but Knoppix found it immediately and I had to set it up in pclinux. No big deal and less than 5 minutes time.

I keep mentioning the printer because I'm a writer and I've got to have it. All in all, MrKvonic has it about right. I'm down to Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS right now, depending on Wolvix (like that name).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  15. steve161

1. Yes
    2. For me, no.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure each problem has a solution, but I'm just distro hopping at the moment. I liked PCLOS, and have not ruled out giving it another try. The problems were annoying, but not deal breakers.

16. steve161

I
    I believe Ubuntu is coming out with an upgrade in mid-October. Gutsy Gibbon or something like that. Which reminds me, I did have one issue with Ubuntu.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

After nearly a year of distro hopping, I narrowed it down to pretty much these 3:

1) PCLinuxOS
    2) Ubuntu
    3) Debian

For me those were the best. PCLOS has a slight edge in out of the box usability, but the other 2 were close behind it. SuSE and Fedora worked well also, but required a little more tweaking.

18. Chuck57

Haven't tried Debian. Wolvix is derived from Slackware, and I've messed with Slax Kill Bill (like that name too) and no real complaints. I guess they're all good. Some distros cosmetically look nicer and have a bit more usability for people who don't want to do much tweaking, like me who wants it to work out of the box.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It seems that I finally decide that I should change to Linux, because I'm tired of Windows, and its future doesn't seems brilliant...

Now I also only need Windows at my work, so this seems the best time to make a real change and learn more things...

I already have some academical experience with few distributions, some years ago, but never wanted to change to it...

PCLinuxOS seems to be great, the LiveCD ware amazing, and I'm searching on web for some more initial info about Linux to decide what should I do before install it on my computer.

I hope to have all your help, as always had, to help me on this transition... :p

20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Be sure to join the PCLOS forum.

I'll quote myself.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Already register... ;)

Thanks

22. Chuck57

As MrKvonic predicted here, I'm down to PCLinux and Ubuntu.

I've discovered that getting my printer and even sound to work on both isn't that difficult with practice, which is really all I need. Haven't played with saving or using cd's or much else, but that's secondary since my work is all printed out and saved to hard copy.

Coming from the Age of Typewriters, and being on the 'dark' side of 60 now, I just don't want to mess with command lines, typing in weird code and such. Both PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu seem to have almost removed that need. They still demand a bit more than XP, but it's an amount of extra work I can live with.

23. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I was just checking out some PCLOS-screenies and seen a menu listing "Copy to Ram"... what exactly is thato_O (I'm shopping for an Ubu-replacement)

24. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

If you have enough system memory it'll install the whole LiveCD into ram, the OS is super fast that way :)

25. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Would a gig doo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.