My laptop is very new and yet it blue-screened several times. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DesuMaiden, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

My laptop is very expensive. It is nearly 1000 us dollars. I've been using it since mid October of last year (so I've been using it for about 7 months). I spend several hours on it everyday (I think 6 or 7 hours a day) so I use it quite frequently. I am not a hardcore gamer or anything, but I think it is strange it has blue-screened several times.

I'll post you the screenshot below.

I hope my laptop is still in good condition. I haven't drop it or anything.

2. merisi

merisi Registered Member

It would really help if you told us your specs and your security setup. I had a lot of BSODs recently and it was just a software conflict. It's going to be very difficult for anyone to help you with the information you've provided.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Have you tried Googling the specific BSOD error you got? If it happens frequently (repeatedly), you should investigate what could be causing it and fix it.

Also if you have time and you already have your data backed up, you can consider using your laptop's recovery partition.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

If it worked correctly for you at the start and at some point occured mistake, then it is obviously some kind conflict and you can not fix it without a new clean installation. But it would be wise, however, to find out what the cause was. Usually it is software uninstalling or reinstalling. Most of all it is possible if You uninstal antivirus or antimalware or firewall programs.
    If you are able to use Ymicsoft Windows {XP, Vista, 7, 8} Manager, then You can disable autorestart and blue screen, but this isn't the solution.
    Also might help if you will rebuild the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) repository. If you have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus or any other Kaspersky product, it is quite likely that your problem occurred after the removal of some of these programs or after renewal. This behavior sends all Kaspersky products since 2012 from. (Be sure to have here now thousands of objections, but here emotions don't help). Sorry if offended anyone.
    But of course I may be wrong, and the reason may be quite another. Please more lenient punishment then.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No it is not normal and because it is still very new, you need to contact warranty support and get on record that you are having this issue - especially BEFORE doing anything that may void the warranty.

You should also contact the notebook's support webpage to see if there are any driver or BIOS updates. And make sure all the vents and cavities are free of heat trapping dust.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I completely agree with you, and ComputersRock needs to post more information, OS, security apps, etc.

7. Bill_Bright

I disagree that the need for a clean installation is needed, or obvious. BSODs are often caused by hardware failure due to heat, memory problems, drivers, or a weak device faulting, or flakey power. A clean install cannot fix a hardware problem and if caused by a bad driver, may result in the installation of that bad driver again. And in nearly every case, a clean install results in nothing learned to prevent recurrence of the problem.

Clean installations, formatting and reinstalling, etc. should ALWAYS be the last resort option, if for nothing else, it results in total loss of all personal data and installed programs if not properly backed up first, and it puts you months, and in some cases, years behind in security.

8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I would start for HDD and Memory tests. Overheat is less probable because it´s a new computer. If a problem is detected, ComputersRock should take the computer to the vendor and activate the guarantee. If nothing is detected i would restore the factory image, and won't install anything for a few days, and if yet the BSOD still occurs, i would take it back to the vendor for sure.

9. Bill_Bright

I don't see how you can say that. This computer is 7 months old. That is plenty long enough to suck in a bunch of dust to form a blanket of heat trapping dust.

I recommend you DON'T eliminate heat from the equation until you actually determine, via actual hardware monitoring, if your temps are good.

At this point, we need the OP to return with more information as all this speculation is just that, speculation.

10. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

@Bill_Bright
    Yes, you´re right, i haven´t noticed that the computer is already 7 months old, i was under the impression that it was more recent.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Yeah, as Bill suggests, it's a very good chance dust is the issue.

12. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I agree 100%, the problem is that the standard response from the PC mfg will be to do a reinstal of the OS since that is the most time effective for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.