My laptop is not connecting to the internet wirlessly.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by cheater87, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

It stopped connecting a few days ago. I tried to connect and I clicked on the wireless icon to select the router and It asked me to put in the WEP code again. I found this odd. My PS3 can get a connection so I have been using that to go online. What could this be? Even the downstairs computer can go online. Has my wireless card diedo_O I tried repairing the wireless signal by clicking the button that was provided but that didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

1) Try disabling the connection and then reconnect (re-enable)

2) If it's a computer that you generally do not turn off, try rebooting.

I don't know why this happens (what happened to you occasionally happens to me), but either of these approaches always fixes it. It happens to me infrequently.

3. cheater87

I tried both and re setting the router. Nothing. :( Still says limited or no internet connection.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Your laptop is connected wirelessly. How about the PS3 and the downstairs computer?

Is it possible to bypass the router and direct-access the internet by plugging the laptop into your internet source? Also, can you drop by a public wifi spot and see if you can access the internet with your laptop?

That might be helpful information to help determine if it is your wireless card or the router.

I had a situation recently where my router died. We assume those things last forever so I never even thought it might be a problem. I finally swapped it out and everything was fine.

Hopefully - others will comment for you.

5. cheater87

The PS3 is wireless and the downstairs PC is connected with a wire. I'll see if I can bring the Laptop to a Zoup near work and see if that works.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

have you tried searching ubuntuforums, it's such a great place for solutions. get the name of the card like this -
    Code:
    lshw -C network | grep product
    you might get more info if you run this -
    Code:
    lspci
    one of the lines will be your card.
    then do this search on google
    Code:
    site:ubuntuforums.org disconnecting [the name of your card]
    OR
    Code:
    site:ubuntuforums.org can't connect [the name of your card] 
    etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.