My IE crashed due to NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CyberMew, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f92b0e16-aa49-48bc-a1fa-f18149a282ca&SID=1043

Error caused by Eset: No specific solution found

Problem Description

An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an unknown error occurred in NOD32 Antivirus System. This software was created by Eset.

Problem Resolution

Microsoft has researched this problem with Eset, and they do not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a list of recommendations to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.

Contact Eset for support or product updates.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

When you have completed this, can you please try a Winsock Repair.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

3. CyberMew

Thanks, all seems to be working as it should be. Nothing is out of place. But there is 1 problem that I should mention. I tried your silent scan and everytime when it comes to my personal drive, some folders is locked, and they are not locked in any way at all! I tried normal scanning and it is able to scan well. There is also another thread on it..

4. Blackspear

Can you please post a screenshot and/or copy of your scanning log.

What "other thread" are you referencing?

What is your operating system?

Cheers :D

5. CyberMew

6. Blackspear

7. CyberMew

Okay, thanks a lot Blackspear :)

8. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello,

You will see numerous entries like this in a normal scan.The most common entries here are pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys plus any other files exclusively being used by the system, for example.

Filtering out such files might not be the right thing to do, unless we know for 100% certainty that they are the genuine article.

Imagine a trojan, which would copy itself as pagefile.sys on drive D: and open itself exclusively. NOD32 wouldn't be able to scan it and nobody would even find out about it.

I personally feel that maybe there should be a hyperlink, which would open the help file page that would explain why and when this is ok, because we see a lot of queries about locked files at Eset's support.

In your screenshot, you have many entries referring to Quake. There are 2 probable reasons: either the game was running when you made the scan so these files are locked by the program or you did not exit the program correctly last time you played it. Rebooting should fix that and then NOD32 should be able to scan Quake's files.

Regards,
    Bandicoot. :)

9. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Well, some files will always be locked, like certain files that are locked because they are in active use (files used by the Windows registry, for instance) or because they are password protected archives (NOD32 cannot get past the password).

For the Quake III and UT2004 files, it may be a Windows privilege problem. For example, you may have two users on your computer, "Cyber" and "Mew". Suppose that "Cyber" has full administrative privileges, but "Mew" is only a limited user. Now suppose that the files were created by "Cyber", but you are running the scanner as "Mew". There may be some files that are denied access because of this. Are you able to open the files normally (for example, open up one of the ".htm" files with Internet Explorer)?

Another possibility is that the NTFS security descriptors are slightly corrupt. Not a big deal though... pretty easy to fix. Try scanning your hard drive for errors (right-click E: drive --> Properties --> Tools --> Error checking --> Check now --> Automatically fix file system errors --> Start) (or type chkdsk e: /f at the Command Prompt).

10. CyberMew

Not possible. I did a normal scan and the files were not locked. The game Quake3 has not been encryted or zipped up. I didn't even touch the folder and its files for 3 months. And... my hdd has no errors..Many locked files are not normal.(maybe it is just a bug with silent scan)

11. alglove

Ohhh, that's right. You did say that the files are locked only with a silent scan, but not a normal scan. Hmmmm.....

12. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi CyberMew,

When you say 'normal' scan, I presume you mean an 'On-Demand' scan and when you say 'silent' scan are you referring to a Scheduled Task scan that will run in the background?

You mean the files did not appear in the log? So maybe on a 'normal' scan you haven't enabled the scanning of archives, etc. I'm fairly sure that the developers of Quake3 will encrypt the majority of their files. You may have different scanning parameters setup (My Profile, Control Center Profile, Context Menu Profile, etc.) ie: in an On-Demand scan you haven't selected to scan archives for example, whereas the scheduled scan is.

Bandicoot.

13. alglove

Well, looking at the files in the Quake III folder that were locked (look here again:( hXXp://img130.imageshack.us/img130/320/bleh0ue.jpg ) many of them are .cfg , .htm , and .log files. Those are just plain text files, not encrypted.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  14. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Yes, I see what you mean alglove. But if a file is being used by another application or the system, then they cannot be altered or even scanned. Below is a scan log from my machine.

Bandicoot.

Attached Files:

15. CyberMew

This time, Quake3 folder is very short. Yea I followed Blackspears recommended settings including the ticking of archives. Locked files only happens in silent and not On-Demand scan.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2005
  16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's probably because "silent" scans are run in system account.

17. alglove

That's a thought. Try right-clicking on one of those locked Quake III files, go to Properties, then the Security tab. Highlight the user SYSTEM on the top half and see if it has Full Control privilege (and other privileges) on the bottom half.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.