My frustrations with McAfee.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Frank the Perv, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

My frustrations with McAfee.

I know McAfee is generally a good a/v, and it has prevented many things from infecting my computer.

But, there has been so many times where something got into my computer, and McAfee finds it, but it then tells me that it cannot ‘clean’ or ‘quarantine’ or ‘delete’ the object. Then as I go to exit McAfee, it taunts me with a message that basically says, “hey, your computer is infected, if you exit, your computer could be hosed.” But if I don’t exit, I just go through the same iteration of McAfee telling me that it can’t delete, clean, or quarantine the object.

What I’ve done in the past is I go to an online scanner, and I have that scanner find and remove the object. Panda’s online scanner used to be great -- in both removing things that McAfee could not, and also finding things that McAfee missed and removing them too. But Panda changed the online scanner, and it doesn’t find much anymore.

Now Bitdefender serves that function, finding and eliminating what McAfee could not.

Lately, McAfee turns itself off sometimes. Or maybe there is something that turns McAfee off – I’m not sure. But obviously that’s not good.

Today when I got to my computer, McAfee was turned off again, and there was a pop up telling me that McAfee had found a virus. Then McAfee told me it could not delete, clean, or quarantine the virus… So I tried to follow the path,

C: Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temp\tmp00007d20

But I could not find that path. Once I got to the ‘My Name’ part, there was no path to ‘Local Settings.’

And this time, BitDefender did not find the virus.

So I went back and did a scan with McAfee, and it did not find the virus this time in the scan…

I get McAfee free, so that's nice.... but maybe I should shell out for BitDefender or Kapersky.

Frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi

C: Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\ is a hidden folder. In explorer go to tools>folder options>view and you can turn on seeing the hidden folders.

My only other comment would be sounds like time to dump big red(he says ducking)

Pete

3. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Hey, how do I get a screen shot and paste it in here?

I did shift+print screen... and then tried to paste, but there was nothing to paste.

I want to paste in here what McAfee automated help is telling me to do...

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Have a look at FAQ : Screen Shots and Image Posting. ;)
    You can't paste anything directly, because you need to attach it or host it. :)

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Thanks Eldar and Bubba for the copy/paste instructions.

I don't really like it that McAfee is telling me to uninstall Ad-Aware SE Plus (that's the paid version).

McAfee is really annoying me now.

Oh, and thanks Peter2150. Sure enough, what you stated worked, the files were hidden. I viewed them, and the file in question was still not there. Is is possible that the file being in the ..\Temp\.. was deleted by CCleaner?

I've had things pop up before that McAfee said it could not do anything about, and then CCleaner flushed them. That is kind of a McAfee mystery to me too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're welcome Frank the Perv. ;)
    Never had that problem with all the AV's I tried. Ad-Aware SE Plus is installed here,
    but Ad-Watch isn't activated. Only use it on demand.
    Enough other AV's to choose from, if you're deciding to give McAfee up. :cool:

7. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

maybe scan in safe mode?? sometimes the file may be in use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.