My Experience With Whonix

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by caspian, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have set up the portable version of Whonix in the past but never really used it. But a couple of days ago I set up Whonix on my computer and I followed this video tutorial.

-http://vimeo.com/79618579-

When I did the sudo apt-get update, there were some updates that could not update. I can't remember what it said. But also, I could not update TBB. I tried many times. So finally I followed instructions for updating it manually. And it works. But now I cannot use the desktop icon. I have to go into the TBB folder in file manager to start it. That's a little inconvenient but it works.

The second problem. When I ran sudo apt-get install pidgin, it can't be installed. And I cannot find instructions to manually install it. Here is what is says when I tried to install pidgin.

ScreenShot001.jpg

I did install Bleachbit. But I am not sure about what to check so I left some of them blank. I left free space blank. I am wondering if I should check the other items that I have left blank?

ScreenShot002.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Regarding the "apt-get update" issue, just run it again. Tor can be tempermental, and sometimes it takes two or three runs before it completes without errors. It's important that it complete without errors because otherwise Debian doesn't know about all packages that are available.

After running "apt-get update" successfully, run "apt-get dist-upgrade". Then, to fix the pidgin issue, run "apt-get install -f". If it still fails, post on Tor.SE or the Whonix forum.

If you're also upgrading the gateway VM, you may encounter a bug that prevents Tor from running. See this workaround.

I don't think that you need bleachbit. Be careful with it.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Oh I didn't see this reply. Disregard the other thread that I mentioned Pidgin. I will give this a try. Thanks! This has been fun so far. I shouldn't have waited so long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.