My evaluation of Rising Antivirus Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBadget, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBadget

IBadget Registered Member

I have just finished evaluating Rising Antivirus Free. The download file is 60.9 MB, so it took about 30 minutes to download. The installation took about an hour. When the installation was finished, RAV's initial screen was written in Chinese, although I chose the English interface at the beginning of the installation process. Fortunately, the Start Menu item for RAV was in English, so I was able to uninstall the program. The bottom line is that RAV Free is not worth messing around with if you don't understand Chinese, and the download and installation of the program requires a great deal of patience. Not like avast, where the download and installation is quick and everything is in English.

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I've had Rising Free 2009 installed happily on a 98SE PC since 04/02/09. It keeps telling me it's a 41 day trial but apart from that I've encountered none of the problems you mentioned. Where did you get the installation file from? I'm wondering if there's more than one version.

3. IBadget

IBadget Registered Member

4. Vladimyr

Got mine here.

Wonder if they are different? (I won't be able to check myself until Thursday.)

5. fistico

fistico Registered Member

Rising AV has A LOOONG way to cover...
    For the time being, the FREE versions of
    AVIRA AntiVir and avast! are better solutions
    coming from Well-Respected AV companies with
    Tradition in AV development.

Rising Free AV has a 60.9 MB setup file
    and the Total installation size took about 200MB
    in my system.
    What for?
    For Detection lower than the FREE editions of Avira and avast!

No, Thanks!

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Try it against any new malware that comes your way. You'll find another reason not to bother with it.

Why this seems to have become a cult favorite amazes me to no end.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Its free with HIPS and a very slick GUI, maybe thats why.

8. fistico

fistico Registered Member

However, its HIPS are premature, and cannot compete
    against OA Free or EQSecure!

As far as the slick GUI, it is appealing to
    amateurs who select software based on a nice GUI, flashy buttons, 3-D effects etc. :D
    Overall Protection = Real-Time + Detection + Removal should be the No.1 priority; not GUI...

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I had no problem with installing Rising.
    It installed in English for me.
    But if I was still on dial-up I probably wouldn't have downloaded it. Files that large take too much time.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

installation took about an hour? sorry bud but i HIGHLY doubt that is the fault of the program, sounds like ur system isnt keeping up, i have installed RAV and Rising FW before and it does NOT take that long on my hald decent system. i see u have 5 posts, maybe once u gain a bit more respect here i will be believe some of ur claims. btw it IS a Chinese company so its only acceptable to have chinese in the installation, but as ive installed it myself, u just choose English and everything is good from there.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Fully agreed there however, people make fun of the Avira GUI which I find to be functional, I don't use a program beacuse of its looks, rather its performance is of paramount importance to me.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yes, avira's GUI is nice, simple, professional and easy to navigate, very good GUI IMO.

13. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Quote from www.freerav.com
    Their moto is "install and forget" Talking about hips if you compare it with a hips product perse you'll notice that hips aren't install and forget. You'll get many pop ups with default configuration. It's hard to make a hips that both protects all areas and is silent at the same time. Because hips doesn't have an AI. So the hips in Rising just protect important parts that won't bring lots of alerts with casual usage of the computer. I find that Rising 2009 in some ways has surpased 2008 but in others it doesn't. Talking objectively, the usb protection has surpased 2008. It will alert about any aplication that tries to run when plug it in. How many antiviruses have that feature?? The only one I know is Comodo. On the other hand I think aplication protection was minimized compared to 2008. For example. You could add memory modification protection to your webbrowsers and pass the Comodo leaktest. With 2009 you can't do that. Or at least I haven't found a way yet. You could add the launch protection but then it will alert you even if you open the browser yourself. But the other day I accidentally visited one of those xp antivirus 2008 sites and I received an alert of infection right away. Something 2008 wouldn't do. There are goods and bads between 2008 and 2009. Now talking about other products it was mentioned here new threats. The only thing Avast and Avira offer is heuristics. And Avast doesn't have the feature of cleaning infected files. One time I did a boot time scan with Avast and after I stupidly chose to delete all files the system wouldn't boot anymore haha. Avira well. I haven't tested Avira that much yet. Oh and I forgot to mention that Rising 2009 has the feature of monitoring autorun files. Wich means that even if your system is infected your usb can't bring the virus to other systems. Well that's all I have to say for now. I have to go to work or I'll get caught lol. :D

14. gery

gery Registered Member

AVG pro has this of scanning USB option too

15. Vladimyr

Traditional "dumb" HIPS as frontline protection has a niche market only for users who want to be bugged by their security software. It will never be acceptable for general PC users. Behaviour Analysis will supplant it.

avast! 4.X has "heuristics" only in the email scanner. Nowhere else.

16. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Avast does have heuristics. When you receive an alert of trojan{gen} that shows it. ;)

And you're right about hips. People that only use their computer for chatting will never understand hips. ^^

17. Vladimyr

Actually the "(gen)" tag indicates detection by generic identification but I did forget completely that avast! anti-rootkit scanning uses heuristic analysis, hence the notification:

"A suspicious file has been detected (using a heuristic method). This may be a sign of malware infection. Please allow the file to be submitted to our virus lab for analysis."

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well the line between generic and heuristic detection is not as clean anymore...

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The skinless GUI of avast looks surprisingly good, just deselect using skins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.