My Documents Corupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by luckyrod, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckyrod

luckyrod Registered Member

I recently had a hard drive failure and needed to restore the files prviously imaged with TI8 and restored with TI9. All of the files in the My Documents directory restored but were corupted. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that when I imaged them I used to sign on with a password? I created the same user account with the same password and they are still not good. The rest of the files on the imaged drive restored OK but would hang up whenever a thumbs or system file was about to be restored.

TIA
    Lucky

2. Lila Godel

Lila Godel Registered Member

If your files were encrypted and you did not restore an image of the entire drive the files are unrecoverable unless you backed up the encryption key for your user account to removable media.

3. luckyrod

No I did not encrypt the files. The password was used signing on to windows.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are they reported as corrupted or are you getting something like "insufficient permission to access the files"? If it is a permission problem you are going to have to access them and change the permissions. There are several posts on doing this in the forum.

5. luckyrod

The files are reported as follows:

txt Notepad shows an empty view
    doc Word is unable to read this document
    xls the file cannot be accessed the file may be read only etc
    mpg invalid format
    jpg No preview available

The only files that will open normally are htm files that have been saved somewhere in the My Documents Directory. The balance of the 3gig of information will not open once restored.

6. luckyrod

This is what I had to do to save some of these files. I had to back up the corrupt files using windows and them delete them and restore them from the windows backup.

I must say that I am dissappointed with Acronis TI. When I used it to backup my files the first time I tested it on a couple of files but I didn't think to test it on all of my files.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello luckyrod,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image did you use to create the backup?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- Describe the way you created the backup in detail;

- Where did you save the backup to?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image did you use to restore the backup?

- Describe the way you restored 'MyDocuments' folder from the beforehand created backup archive in detail;

- Validate this backup archive by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool and inform us about the result;

- Mount this backup archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Mount Image tool, copy the MyDocuments folder from the mounted backup archive to any folder on your local hard drive using Windows Explorer or any other file browser. Let us know if the restored files are corrupted;

- What kind of a "hard drive failure" did you have? Did you install a replacement hard drive?

- What kind of a password protection did you use? What exactly was protected with password?

- What exact error message(s) did you receive when tried to access the restored files?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.