My dad is letting me install free anti virus software on his work PCs.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cheater87, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Comodo does indeed detect a lot more; auto-generated static sigs. VT, userbase malware team, etc submissions do help. But the question is: can it repair files especially macro since were talking about an office environment. If it has problems with that it would just delete all important documents and that would be chaos. I know it is good at prevention with D+ and sandbox but were talking about only their AV here.

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

If your going to use Comodo is a biz area at least use the sandbox with the AV. How often will companies be using a little known program that may be sandboxed?

3. guest

guest Guest

That will be rare anyway you can prepare the setup for one computer and export the config to all the others, usually they will always use the same software and the updates will not create a problem because they are already in the whitelist.
    But soon or later they will have a popup trying to install a new software unknown for the local or cloud whitelist and since they are not going to have nobody with a little knowledge about computers in the office is better avoid this kind of problems.

SETUP:
    It's an excellent setup the people will be only able to work with the software that they have to use and install and use the software in the whitelist (safe) but you will need somebody with the knowledge in the office if you want to change something someday.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

actually no, the person i was replying to had mentioned the CIS suite, if u look back at the post i was actually replying to (which wasnt urs) u will see that.

5. guest

guest Guest

Sorry I didn't realize that were talking to pc_gamer.

6. firzen771

:p no problem

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Bunch of OT posts removed. Stick to the subject please. Thank you all.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That simply isn't true, feel free to link me to any tests with some shred of credibility that prove otherwise. From what I've seen Comodo AV always has and probably always will be a failure. D+ is where the true protection comes in.

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I have observed the same delays on XP which is why I only install the current rtm version on Vista or 7 systems. However I have had the beta version running on my XP workstation at the office for a few weeks and so far no issues to report with slowdowns.

10. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

People seem to mis-trust comodo for some reason, yet some are willing to trust their security with microsoft?

Must just be me who has a giggle at that :)

11. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

guest gave some links earlier. I think they were removed. :doubt: The Comodo guys do add detections fast. I hope to see their cloud in action. Perhaps AVC single product test.

12. firzen771

i trust it to work quietly and to be simple and just work without any flash added

13. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

14. elapsed

Comodo has proved several times it cannot be trusted with various public incidents. What exactly has Microsoft done? Made an OS so popular that's it's targetted? :argh:

I'd trust first party over third party any day thank you very much.

15. guest

guest Guest

Like which event? It's the same event that I'm thinking, MRG? Where more than the 95% of the AV failed included MSE?
    This is already fixed (was a bug) and Comodo protects against this, the rest of the AV's still fail.

MSE proofs every second that misses malware and fails protecting your computer.

There is a thing called bugs in software, you should read about it, Microsoft and MSE knows a lot about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2010
  16. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol windows defender, windows firewall, they ain't the best of examples, and the constant rumours of them leaving holes and bugs in thier software to get people to upgrade.

And you said it yourself, microsoft are massive, people are creating samples just to bypass thier software

17. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

So do all security software in correct hands. I think Microsoft does an okay job with security for average users running Windows 7 with their Windows 7 Firewall, MSE, IE's website blocker and UAC. MS does a very poor job for users of XP though.
    And Comodo doesn't? I recently installed CFW on my brother's PC running Vista x64 and it froze the system every time a non-trusted fullscreen app was launched (even if all pop-ups were allowed). Was very annoying with fullscreen games, especially with ones which didn't trigger any alerts from D+. Also, how about MBR trashing with CTM's first release version? Pretty much every software I know has had bugs.

Not defending M$ (actually I hate how Microsoft is forcing everyone to buy Win 7 by making software and updates unavailable to XP), but bashing like that is simply useless in my opinion, especially when the software you're defending suffers from the same things.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  18. guest

guest Guest

Comodo also knows about bugs, I didn't say the opposite, but your case is not a bug.
    There is a thing in Comodo called "game mode", right click on the icon and the click on "game mode", thats all.

19. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Version 4 didn't have it, and I'm quite sure it was a bug, because even if I allowed every pop-up, CFW still froze the PC when I launched any non-trusted fullscreen application. And completely froze, the PC didn't react to things like pressing power button once (should normally shut the PC down), Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt-Tab, F4 etc.

20. guest

guest Guest

Yes, v4.1 didn't have it. I know about this bug it was only for x64 systems, I think that is already fixed in v5, at least I haven't expericed this kind of problems again even without using the game mode.

21. elapsed

Test labs =/= public events, I think you're confused. The fact that it seems every single month now Comodo are in a post on this forum, embarassing themselves, is quite astounding. Try searching the Wilders forums a little.

You mean where D+ blocks threats not the AV?
    MRG is a credible source of what exactly?

?? What are we debating here? I said Comodo AV is terrible, which it simply is. Are you talking about D+ providing protection? As I'm NOT.

Proves*
    Considering nothing captures 100% of threats, all security apps prove* every second that they fail at protecting your PC. You need to configure it properly with LUA, DEP, SEHOP, etc...

Are you honestly trying to make a point here? What point would that be? That Microsoft have a lot more manpower than Comodo and funding behind projects and can therefore make superior quality products? Then you're right.

lolwhat?!?!?!
    So you're point is that there are rumours of bugs in Microsoft code, that you believe without blinking your eye, so you hate them? But you also think people that believe any form of rumours about Comodo are wrong?!?
    No, wait...
    It's that Microsoft are only allowed to defend their OWN OPERATING SYSTEM with something as simple as Windows Defender or the security companies will sue them?
    It's that they secured their OS with a Firewall as light and simple as Windows Firewall yet people think they need over bloated programs like Comodo Firewall to stay secure from hackers?

22. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

perhaps the OP already made a choice. And this thread is going nowhere... :rolleyes:

23. guest

guest Guest

This posts are bugs, and they are fixed in the next versions. But if you like you can try to find malware able to bypass the whole suite, good look you will be one of the first ones. The last bug that allowed a malware to bypass 1 or 2 weeks ago was already fixed.

Publics events? you mean when somebody open a thread in the forum telling that he was able to bypass CIS and then is a false alarm because he didnt restart the computer and this kind of things?

Sorry but today I dont feel like losing my time feeding the trolls, think whatever you want.

24. elapsed

Once again you spin the debate off topic in an effort to prove yourself right. I merely stated that Comodo AV is terrible, I have no idea why you think Im going to go find malware that can bypass Comodo because of this. I _TRULY_ have better things to do with my time and I _TRULY_ do not care enough about this subject to pour that kind of effort into it.

o_O I'm guessing you're not English? I'm talking about Comodo making fools of themselves as a company, what in the name of gods green earth does that have to do with with CIS bypasses!?

Someone tells you you're wrong and they become a troll?

Let's rehash my original post:
    Are we getting somewhere now? Are you going to continue to insist I'm somehow bashing CIS? I didn't once meantion bypasses, I do not care. I'm providing the author of this thread some advice, the advice is in the above quote. If you have an issue with that, bring up some facts and debate it like an adult. Don't try to insult me by calling me a troll, then spin the topic off by lieing with things like "you mean when somebody open a thread in the forum telling that he was able to bypass CIS ".

25. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.