My computer is running slow - Is it NOD32s fault?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Xophile, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

1-Have you tried to unistall NOD to confirm your worry.
    2-download this utility(no installation required) and run it to confirm that your processor is running at its correct cpu-clock.
    http://www.geocities.com/ptngoc2612/THGCLOCK.zip
    don't worry if you get multible readings it reads in different ways.
    3-try to uninstall the graphic adapter's driver and reboot to let windows reinstall it

2. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

I did that yesterday, waiting for a reply still. I will try uninstalling NOD32 completely and remove all register entires etc and do I brand new install.

I'll get back to you all!

Thanks!

3. hadi

hadi Guest

Now before you do new install. check first how is your computer running without NOD.

4. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

There has been no email received at support@eset.us that I can find.

Bandicoot.

5. Gor

Gor Registered Member

Hi.
    I think I also have this problem (slowing down by copying and manipulating with some files). The greatest slowdown is when I copy some exe files (not all). Whether they are small or big, it's the same. I noticed this only with NOD32 v2.50.25. The older version v2.50.16 is OK. I see this problem on my notebook ACER TRAVELMATE 8000 and home PC (P4 3.2GHz Presscot, MB ASUS P4C800-E (I875P)) with WXP PRO SP2 and all latest updates. System reinstaling never have helped. All drivers are properly installed and OK. I don't have any other problems with my systems.

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I had this slowdown too. It cleared right up when I unchecked 'Self-extracting archives' in the AMON setup.
    I make alot of these using WinRAR, so I only disable it when I have to move a bunch of self-extracting files around.

Of course I enable it again once I'm done moving them around ;)

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/7227/nod329kk.gif

7. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Xophile,

Received your email to support today. Have you tried uninstalling NOD32 to see if this issue is directly related? Best to make sure if old Noddy is actually the fly in the ointment or not.

Bandicoot. :D

8. Xophile

Bandicoot:

Good to hear you received it ok now! No, I haven't been able to uninstall NOD as of yet since work has taken too much time. I will do it this weekend though and see how it goes.

How do I completely remove NOD32? I know that NODs uninstall is very good as not many things are left behind but I want my system to be 100% clean of NOD registry entires/files etc and then try my system for a day or two and then reinstall NOD32 from scratch.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Best regards

Matt from Sweden

9. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Matt,

Start > Program Files > Eset > Uninstall. Just double check that the Eset folder has actually been removed from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Eset ...and that's it.

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Actually, there are a few other places. For example, somebody in another thread was having problems reinstalling NOD32, because the key that gets looked at by Add/Remove Programs ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NOD32 ) somehow got the wrong registry permissions and would not get deleted. When he tried to reinstall, the key could not get overwritten, and he got a weird error message. Manually removing this key (after changing the permissions) finally fixed the problem.

The easiest thing to do may to search the registry yourself for "NOD32" and "Eset". You probably won't find much, but at least then you know.

11. Xophile

Re: My computer is running slow - Is it NOD32s fault? *Updated*

Hey everyone!

Ok, it's me again :)

I've been testing this quite a lot during the last week and it is definately AMON's fault. Installing applications is painfully slow when I have AMON enabled. I have tried disable runtime packers and other settings to see if I can find what's causing these severe slowdowns but I can't figure it out. The only way to get my computer up to speed is by disabling AMON, and I really don't enjoy doing that... The only thing I noticed was that most installations "hang" or stop mostly during .dll files. If I turn AMON off, it's very fast again!

Please help me resolve this problem as I'm running out of ideas!

Thank you kindly!

/Matt

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  12. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

13. Xophile

Thanks for your reply Bandicoot!

I will do that tomorrow! Do you want me to write something special in the subject for the e-mail?

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Just place a link to this thread should be sufficient.

Cheers :D

15. Xophile

E-mail sent! Although I couldn't find anything useful at all in NOD32s logs, there was just one single entry listed telling me that one of the update servers were down. Or should I be looking somewhere else?

16. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello Xophile,

When you purchased Outpost firewall, did you install Tauscan at the same time? This runs an on-access scanner on your system. As you may be aware, we strongly recommend NOD32 users to not enable another on-access scanner at the same time as this will cause system instability.

I also noticed you have Ad-Aware SE running. This shouldn't present an issue with NOD32/AMON but it might be worth disabling it, just in case.

Let us know how it goes.

Bandicoot.

17. Xophile

Hi Bandicoot!

Thank you kindly for a quick response!

No, I don't have Tauscan installed and have actually never, ever used it. I'm fully aware of that two on-access scanner at the same time will create a lot problems.

I don't have Ad-aware running all the time, I usually only start it once every week, update it and run a "smart scan" and then close it again.

I just can't figure this out... The speed comes back immediately when I turn AMON off, maybe I should try reinstalling NOD32 once again? I'm also thinking about reinstalling my Intel chipset drivers but I've never done an "over-the-top-installation" of their drivers before and have no idea what to expect...

I will also try to uninstall Outpost completely and at the same time upgrade to the very latest version (which don't have any major fixes but was released a few days ago...)

Should I perhaps try the latest betaversion of NOD32?

Any other suggestions?

18. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello Xophile,

I don't think Ad-Aware SE could be the culprit, but even though you disable the application and only run it once a week, it is probably still technically running in the background. You'd need to actually Quit it and reboot to stop it completely I think.

Also, Outpost should not be causing such an issue, but the Tauscan plugin would have. However, it's certainly worth quitting Outpost also, so at least it can be crossed off the list of suspects.

Could you run a command prompt: notepad process.txt

This will create a notepad document listing the un-hidden running processes on your machine. If you could email that to support@eset.us

Thanks.
    Bandicoot.

19. Xophile

Well, it can't be Ad-aware as far as I know. I'm using the free version and that one doesn't come with the "Ad-watch" feature so there shouldn't be anything running in the background at all. I start it, update it, run a smart scan and then close it - I never live it running in the background. I've tried disabling my broadbandconnection and then quit NOD32 (just to be secure I disable my connection during my tests when NOD is disabled) and then it's all good. I don't really have to quit NOD32, just disabling AMON does the trick.

I very recently did a very clean XP installation so that shouldn't be the problem at all. I will send you a list as you requested.

And Bandicoot, thanks for helping me so much! If you have any problems understanding what I write here, please let me know as English is not my native language.

20. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hey, I noticed you mentioned English wasn't your native language in an earlier post, but trust me...... your English is absolutely excellent.

21. Xophile

hehe, that's good to hear!

Ok, here's a short update:

I've completely uninstalled both NOD32 and Outpost. I rebooted and deleted all the registry keys connected to Eset/NOD and Agnitum/Outpost etc so things should be clean. I then installed Outpost, rebooted and installed NOD. I updated NOD to the latest definitions and was hoping for a success. Unfortunately everything stayed the same.

Installing applications (like Opera etc) takes quite a while and if I disable AMON temporarily it's all good and "speedy". I then tried different configs and found out that if I uncheck Runtime Packers in AMON it works perfectly! So there must be an issue there.

I tried doing what you told me but nothing happens. It only opens an empty notepad window. What am I doing wrong? If you want me to I can take a screenshot from my taskmanager instead?

Please, I need this to be fixed pretty soon. My NOD32 license expires in 3 weeks and if I can't find a solution to my problem it wouldn't feel good to purchase a renewal.

22. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Xophile,

Let me go over the tasklist.txt file procedure that I'd like you send me:

Start -> Run... -> type in 'cmd' in the text box. You'll now have a black, Command Prompt window which will have a text line similar to the following, plus I've added the additional text I want you type in:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname>notepad process.txt

Hit enter and this will open the details in a Notepad document which you could email to support@eset.us

Bandicoot :D

23. Xophile

Well, that still doesn't create any info, all I get is a blank notepad window. I tried this and that worked:

tasklist /svc >process.txt

I've sent it to you now!

/Matt

24. Xophile

Once again the e-mail bounced back. Are you having problems with your e-mail?

Thanks!

25. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Yes, apparently our mail server crashed last night which has messed up support@eset.us. Having arrived in office, we're on the case to resolve the problem now. Sorry about this. I'll send you a PM Xophile.

Bandicoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.