My computer freeze after login

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pstat

pstat Registered Member

Hi Wilders!

I'm just having the same problem on my home desktop.
    XP Home SP2-Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 F7, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT, two internal disks.

I have a triple-boot system, with XP Pro Media Center and Vista in addition to the XP Home.

The same problem occurred on both XP instances around 20th of June (Vista works fine). First I was able to solve it using a Restore point from the beginning of June and NOT installing the downloaded updates.
    But, unfortunately the problem reappeared (updates were installed), the early Restore points are gone and I am stacked with the kids asking me when they will be able to play their favorites games (installed on the XP Home edition)…

I was very happy, when I find out that there is nothing wrong with my hardware, and that you’ve outsmarted the bad OS spirits :).
    So I:
    - turned off Windows update in the Save mode
    - disconnected the internet cable
    - after login, brought up the task manager and when wuauclt.exe appeared right clicked on it and then clicked on ‘End Process’

The system freeze anyway :mad:. !?!? Ok, maybe I was not fast enough.
    Second try, no change...

So I'm back in my Vista writing this.
    What have I missed?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome to the forum pstat!

UPDATE EDIT: PLEASE SEE POST 113 FOR DETAIL'S.

Go here to determine your installer version - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628

• No 3.1? Stop, post back. Yes? Continue.

Check for the presence of the WSUS v3.0 client update - KB936301

• You have it? Stop, post back. Yes? Continue.

Download the appropriate hotfix and follow direction's - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

UNDERSTAND THERE ARE NO GUARANTEE'S! That it has worked for Tepe does NOT mean it will for your circumstance. Provided you have the ability to successfully recover should something go wrong put's you in the proper position to weigh the inherent risk.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  3. pstat

pstat Registered Member

XP Home: msi.dll version 3.0.3790.2180 -> Stopped

XP Media Center: msi.dll ver. 3.1.4000.2435
    Here I
    - turned off Windows update in the Save mode
    - disconnected the internet cable
    - logged in (So far so good - no freeze)
    - checked that wuauclt.exe is on
    - installed the WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU (as tepe2 suggested)
    - found no update KB936301 (I'm downloading it now...)
    - restart (oops! A FREEZE on the Windows is shuting down - screen)
    - HW reset
    - checked that KB927891 is installed
    - plugged the network cable in and turned the Window update ON

The XP MC freezed after few minutes...

Now I'll try to install the KB936301.

4. GlobalForce

I decided to post not knowing when I'll make it back. Return to safe mode, temporarily set startup type *disabled* for the auto-updating service to regain your previous functionality. Confirm in your reply whether your system still run's OK doing so.

Load msinfo32. Return us the BIOS version under system summary. Move on to hardware. Any conflict's listed? I/O's and IRQ's all report OK? How is the memory being handled, one card or two (as Tepe describe's here)? If two, matched or different? Moving on to component's .... do we have any 'problem devices?' All three system's *see* the internet?

*If you return Tepe post your BIOS version. ;)

S

5. pstat

pstat Registered Member

XP Media Center:

I returned to safe mode and disabled the auto update.

I tried and failed to install the Selfupdate.msp (extracted from WSUS20SP1-KB936301-x86.cab) in the safe mode:
    "Windows Installer cannot install the upgrade because program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program."

In normal mode (even with the net-cable out) as soon as wuauclt.exe appears system stops to respond. Only the mouse cursor moves around.

BIOS Version: Award Software Int., Inc. F3, 16.7.2005
    I/O's and IRQ's all report OK
    Memory one card 1GB - status OK
    No Problem Devices.
    All three installed system's saw the internet before the incident.

Peter

6. GlobalForce

Reviewing your initial post my thought's focus on one of the update's you mentioned receiving around the twentieth. Prior to my next suggestion, confirm sp2 came included as part of the install disk. You may need another mean's of removing a problematic update as I think window's installer normally carries the burden.

Please, the exact BIOS page listing both past & present - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_List.aspx

Steve

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

*If you return Tepe post your BIOS version.

Award Software International, inc. F2, 17.12.2004

If anything else I can do, please let me know.

8. GlobalForce

mmmm ....... that you offer .... "Sure!" A martini please .... "shaken, not stirred." :D Thank's Tepe.
    Really though, still trying to uncover the common thread here. ;)

S

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I dont understand why wuauclt.exe start when he already did stop auto updates from safe mode. The same thing happened to me. First 30 or 31 processes started, then maybe 20-40 seconds later wuauclt.exe starts. Then I shut it down at once.

Another thing: I got an answer from Gigabyte. Can someone please tell me if I can post it here, or should I PM it to pstat and perhaps GlobalForce. The reply from Gigabyte is in general with some links and I personally see no wrong in posting it here.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not unless Gigabyte gives their permission tepe2.

11. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

OK Ronjor, I respect that :)

12. oceang

oceang Registered Member

Hi all,

I can report I also have a Gigabyte MB GA-K8NF-9 AMD 3200+ processor

BIOS Version: Award Software Int., Inc. F3, 4.7.2005

I have applied all of the Microsoft fixes listed in this thread not already on my system and the problem still happens as soon as I go into Services and Re-enable Automatic Updates, so I am still running with it turned off.

I would be interested in what Gigabyte had to say Tepe.

13. GlobalForce

*Under the impression a few of you may have been confused by a previous post of mine, allow me to clarify.

KB 936301 state's: "An updated Windows Update client is available for environments
    that are running Windows Server Update Services 2.0 Service Pack 1"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936301

Supported operating system's:

Don't make the mistake of not reading for yourselves whether an update is for your os or not. My fault missing the note's on the bottom of the page for the ONLY update this thread has discussed as a possible fix, first reference post ninety-five. What pstat was thinking may have been caused by panic. Nowhere do I, nor did I state to download KB 936301, let alone attempt to install it ("program to be upgraded may be missing"). Fortunate for Peter it balked.

Experiencing like issue's on Nvidia equipped, Gigabyte board's, running XP with the 3.1 installer you proceed AT YOUR OWN RISK! Attempting to resolve matter's further will take nothing less than member input, new or otherwise. Note that as was mentioned by Peter in his opening post an update could likely have been responsible.

*Still willing to try without first emailing Gigabyte?

I.D. your installer, method 1 using msi.dll - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628

HOTFIX 927891, step's 1 & 2 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

Steve

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. doormattus

doormattus Registered Member

sorry, for not being saying anything, but i've been on vacation, so I haven't been able to.

But yes, I tried disable windows update, as you told oceang, but my computer froze still. So I sorta reinstalled windows and again turned windows update off, and now it kind of works...amazing...So thanks everybody for the great help you've given.

15. GlobalForce

Did you apply the hotfix doormattus?

S

16. doormattus

No not tried that yet...Will now, tough

17. GlobalForce

Then review Tepe's post ninety-six before proceeding (omit his edit at the tail end).
    If it fail's, uninstalling should not be a problem. Maybe pull a sysrestore prior, OK.

S

18. doormattus

I got version 3.0.3790.2180...can i proceed with the hotfix?

19. GlobalForce

Sorry, I can't answer that. Without the 3.1 installer I would instead contact Gigabyte.
    I feel doing so may be your number one alternative.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit: To note; Pstat's on xp home (I'll omit media ctr for the time-being). Doormattus and Wit (post eighty-two) have not yet stated whether home or pro. Home's win installer for both Pstat and Doormattus was listed at v3.0.3790.2180, Oceang and Wit have never listed a version. Tepe so far has been the only one with v3.1 installed. Someone here has yet to dump their list of installed update's and, or hotfixes. It's feasible all still having trouble will show an update NOT in Tepe's list.
    Nobody keep's track? All too trusting?
    Doormattus you stated back in post sixty-four with updating off or on? Don't remember?
    Then today ....
    Not sure what you meant by "sorta reinstalled?" Is there anything to which you could attribute the change?

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit2: You folk's also running 2003 Office - http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx?

Steve

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.