My company told me they can read my Gmail chats if they want to, this true?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrGump, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

My company says they monitor workers stuff being done on the computers. I guess it's for legal reasons if something happens they want a record of it. Anyway, does this mean they can get a hold of my chat when im using Gmail? I try to keep all my G Mail chat very PG but I would prefer to just be able to speak the way I want to speak.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

There are opinions on both sides of the issue around but it often comes down to what corporate policy is and if you have agreed to abide by it (most often in writing.) If this is the case, maybe so...

3. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I did not sign anything but they said they have the right to do it because the machines belong to them.

I guess what I am asking is, with the SSL that Gmail uses am I not protected from their prying eyes?

4. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Your best best is assuming that they can do whatever they want, given that it's their computer. If you want privacy, you'll need to run your own OS somehow, and connect via secure VPN. If you can run VMware Player, a small Win XP or Linux VM would probably be adequate. Booting a Live CD might attract unwanted attention. Actually, doing anything to be private might attract unwanted attention.

P.S. SSL won't protect you from keyloggers.

5. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

ugh...I am going to lose my job haha

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Better you buy your own netbook. It won't cost so much and you can have chat on your own netbook machine and no one will gonna monitor it because its your own machine....

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This may reflect my opinion, but I believe this should be the right way to see it.

The computers at your work place, do not belong to you. They're property of the company. Those are not private computers. Those are computers for the work, and not to have some leisure time.

I'm sorry if I sound too rude, but those are the true facts. You can't use the company's computers for leisure time / do things not work related and expect them not to react. It just won't happen. In other words, if the computers are for work, the company has all the right to monitor what happens on them, because bottom line is that their workers shouldn't be doing whatever they're doing.

One thing is a private computer, one you could use on your spare time, if allowed to use their Internet connection, for example. One other is to use their computers. That's wrong.

8. vibe666

vibe666 Registered Member

it depends very much what country you live in. in some countries privacy laws make it illegal for a company to snoop on a users machine, even if it belongs to them and is on their network.

other countries the company can do pretty much what they want, but most of the time they will do that either way anyway.

just assume that nothing you do is private and keep things all above board and you'll be fine.

9. norky

norky Registered Member

Unless you use their network.

10. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

good advice all around, thanks everybody.

11. hierophant

Unless you use a secure VPN ;)

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ask for and read the company's Internet and email policy and abide by it if you don't want to risk the consequences, such as losing your job.

That's right. Even with your own hardware, you probably aren't permitted to connect it to their network.

13. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

keylogger, screenloggers....

14. katio

katio Guest

I really wouldn't risk my job for this. If their IT staff knows what they are doing you'll get caught in either case and connecting your own gear to their network and then using encryption is much, much worse than losing your mind for a second and saying something inappropriate. The one is a reason for a pink slip, with the other you'll get off with a slap on your wrist.
    Just use your smartphone ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  15. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Well lets hope not bud!

16. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I was fired today o_O

Ummmm, ya I was fired for improper use of the office property. No, wasn't xeroxing my ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  17. hierophant

That's a drag :ouch:

Fired for messing with stuff, or just not working o_O

18. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

For not working. *puppy*

To much Facebook and such

19. hierophant

Hey, at least you're not in jail ;)

20. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

what countries?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.