My clone won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bigfish, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigfish

bigfish Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I am using TI 10.
    I have XP and Vista on the same drive/different partitions
    I made a clone of my harddrive and the clone won't boot into either OS.
    I'm getting "The windows boot manager" saying "Insert the disk and do a repair".
    I did this for the vista side and it worked but I don't have a disk for the XP side.
    My computer came with a recovery partition not a disk. I made a recovery disk when I got my computer but the only option is to do a complete restore... How do I repair XP?
    I thought a clone was an exact copy......Why didn't this work?
    Can someone help me please?

Sony Vaio VGN-FE-550G.
    SATA harddrive.
    Thanks for you help!
    Bill

Now Vista is displaying "NET Framework Errors.....So Vistas not working either.
    Should.nt a clone be the same as the original drive?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Well with Acronis, sometimes exact does not mean exact. :D I don't dual boot, so wouldn't venture to offer a solution without you having an XP installation CD (not the factory Restore which wipes everything).

If you have an I386 folder on the XP side you can make an XP install CD. And you should do one for future. Search the web for how to do this, that's where I found the instructions. I did one long ago and don't remember the exact steps.

3. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi Bill,

Then you created a clone, the process creates a copy. If both Hard Drives remain in the computer, you need to make the clone Hard Drive, Active. And change the Boot Order of the Hard Drives.

Also, since you ran the repair of Vista, it may have just shorten the time it displays the options to display which operating system to boot to. Increase the time it displays the boot options.

4. bigfish

Thanks for the reply! I will look into make a disk for the future.
    I can't even boot into Vista correctly now o_O :'(

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

check your drive letters on your windows xp installation, that might the only repair you have to do.

The only other repairs you might have to do are a fixmbr/fixboot type repairs or even modify the boot.ini. Theres other utilitys that can do that without the xp installation disc. From my expierence a windows repair installation never fix anything for me.

Use the "paragon justboot corrector" demo to check your drive letters.

6. bigfish

Thanks for the reply.
    I only have the cloned Hard drive in the computer.

The vista repair didn't do anything:doubt:
    The time to select the OS is still 15 second which I set on the Original Hard drive.
    Everything looks the same when I start the computer until I select an OS then I get this
    "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or soft change might be the cause.
    1. Insert your installation disk
    2.choose your language setting
    3.click repair
    File: \ntldr

Thank again

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bigfish,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report as described below:
    - Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also describe your initial operation systems' setup in more details.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi Bill,

Were both Hard Drives in the computer at the same time, during the cloning process?

Did you immediately remove the original Hard Drive from the computer?

Can you boot up the computer in MS-DOS? If so, can you use a program like Qedit which works and runs in DOS to view and edit Boot.ini?

I believe that the partition that Boot.ini is pointing to, is not correctly configured.

Also, did you preformat the Clone Hard Drive for operating systems, rather than for storage? Then clone to the Drive?

9. bigfish

Hi!,
    I used a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE universal cable to make the clone. I unplugged it right after it finished.
    I Did not immediately remove the original Hard Drive from the computer.

I think you are right about Boot.ini.
    When I installed Vista I used a program called BCDEDIT to edit the boot menu options. I did this on the Vista side and since I use the XP side to make the clone it might have something to do with it.o_O
    I did not preformat the clone for Operating systemso_O
    I will look into this.
    I am going to make another clone tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again thecreator!
    Bill

10. bigfish

Hello Marat,

Thank you for the reply!
    I don't have a floppy disk drive on my computer. I do not wish to buy one either. Is there another option?

Bill

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bigfish,

We are sorry for delayed response.

In this case, please just submit a request for technical support. Attach all the information to your request (including that you do not have floppy drive) along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.