my clock lost some time :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my stupid clock lost 7 minutes today :( i ended up standing at the train station in the cold like a burk for 10 minutes :'(

i changed it back to the correct time though so it shouldn't happen again tomorrow ;)

what makes a clock lose time? all i can think of is the CMOS battery, is there anything else? if it is the cmos will it lose time again tomorrow? can i test the battery to check? my computer is about 3 years old. thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

CMOS battery is the only thing I know of that causes loss of time.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There are softwares that adjust your pc clock with an atomic clock on the internet. The trouble is to find one, that is clean.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Slovak :) so if it's the cmos what does that mean?, i can't remember what it does. does it have anything to do with powering the BIOS and boot process?

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry i didn't see your post i was trying to find out about the BIOS as i was posting.

that's one thing my PC will never do (XP and Linux) it might be to do with the servers being ftp servers, my proxy has problems connect to them sometimes

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Eventually, yes, just change the battery. They are cheap enough.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Slovak. i'll go and get a new battery then. i'm going away for afew days so i'll have to remember to do it when i get back!

i just tried to synchronise the clock with a time server, but i didn't check the time before i did it so i'm not sure if it worked :rolleyes: i can't find any errors though. i'm going to ask about the protocol in the FW forum.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Is this your Home PC or is this a PC that gets hooked up to a work server sometimes ?

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

The only virus I ever got caused my clock to loss about 20 minutes in a day. That was only the beginning of my troubles (from the virus). If you have a good uptodate AV consider that you have a virus causing this as your last choice. No need to get alarmed :eek:

Question. If he changes the battery does he lose the BIOS settings and need to "reflash", I guess this is the right term? I seem to recall that if all power is off and battery dies BIOS is gone. Ture or False? :doubt:

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes it's my home PC. there's no LAN or remote connections (no VPN or VNC). i managed to break the two other computers i did have connected :(

hi, mercurie. i don't think it's a virus. this is what has happened to make me think so:

i catch the same train every day, about 2 months ago i noticed i was getting to the station, initially, one minute earlier then normal every day, then it went to two minutes.

i live about 3 minutes walk away from the station, so in the past i have sometimes left it abit too late leaving the house and had to run :rolleyes: . so, i didn't change the clock because it ment i was always on time.

anyway, i started to leave the house 2/3/4 minutes later (going by the clock) but always got to the station with 2 minutes to spare lol. but, today i was 12 minutes early, when i got back home i checked the clock and it seems (i didn't know the exact time) it lost 7/8 minutes in a day, instead of the steady 10/20 seconds loss it normally does.

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Software can also cause time loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.