My Christmas Wish: Getting 2 Antivirus Programs to Play Nice

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pauliewalnuts, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauliewalnuts

pauliewalnuts Registered Member

If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace. If I had two wishes I could make this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace. And the second would be for 30 million dollars a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account. You know, if I had three wishes I could make this holiday season, the first, of course, would be for all the children of the world to get together and sing, the second would be for the 30 million dollars every month to me, and the third would be for encompassing power over every living being in the entire universe. That, and finding 2 different antivirus programs, that will work well together (no big conflicts) and that compliment each other in what they can do. Yes, that would be my fourth wish. :D I run NOD32 as my active scanner, but would love to use something else as an on demand scanner. I've already crashed our family PC 3 times in the past 2 months (I fear my wife may kill me before the New Year) installing trial versions of different AV's. I know that Kaspersky 5.0.227, even used as an on demand AV, with everything turned off, does not play well with NOD32. Same thing with Bitdefender Pro 8. I tried the new Trend PC-Cillin, and even though I had NOD32 shut down, it demanded that I uninstall it, so I said "FORGET YOU TREND MICRO!" I would have used harsher language had it not been the holiday season. My desktop PC is a Pentium 4-2.8GHz-1gb of Memory-80gb HD, and running XP Home Edition. Both NOD32 & Zone Alarm Pro are active. What else can I tell you? That I'm obsessed with all of this? Yes I am! It's become my "Holy Grail". I can't stop now! Miles to go before I sleep. I know what some of you are saying, "Gee, I hope this guy didn't quit his job in this futal attempt at AV nirvana." Of course not. I took an extended leave of absence. There is a difference. I've finally gotten to a place where I can admit I need help. That's the first step, right? That's why I came here, for help. So help me, won't you? Am I crazy or just a little sleep deprived? I've read that 48 consecutive hours without sleep is a bad thing. Either way, I would love to hear what you guys have to say. I'll be waiting. Right here. Thank you for your time! I wish each and every one of you (including that barking dog I'm hearing. But we don't own a dog. Hmmmm) a very HAPPY HOLIDAY.

You guys do good work here. To the best security forum on the Internet!

Paulie

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hey Paulie, say hellos to ya muddah fuh me...

Nah, seriously, you might try F-PROT as an on-demand w/NOD. Works great here... ;)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Here as well. :)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Happily running NOD on access with KAV 5.0.227 as on demand back up here. Try uninstalling NOD, installing KAV 1st as on access, uncheck use recommended settings and do a custom install,disable network protection(you have a firewall anyway) and IChecker then disable Resident Protection and finally reinstalling NOD. Then use whichever you prefer as your on access scanner. I normally have NOD as the resident with KAV as a back up but it works either way and every once in awhile I activate KAV and use NOD as the back up.

6. muf

muf Registered Member

I'm using nod32 resident with KAV 4.5 on-demand. No conflicts. If you try KAV 4.5 then select custom install and don't install the control centre. KAV 4.5 is much more configurable than KAV 5. In fact it's probably the most configuarable AV there is. If you are using it on-demand then once it's set up then it's a doddle to use, and it's detection rate is fantastic too. KAV 5 caused me major problems to the point it was unuseable, where as KAV 4.5 has never caused me problems and this being on the unstable and unreliable WinMe too! Give it a go, i'm sure you'll find it plays nice.

muf

7. David S

David S Registered Member

I discovered the same thing through trial and error. When I first installed KAV with NOD32 installed it froze my system and I mean froze, but when I did the same thing as flyerfan I had no problems. I would recommend a backup in addition to system restore in case of problems, because if your system locks up you may not be able to use system restore. (I'm using XP)

I am using NOD32 as my resident AV and every so often I do a scan with KAV. The scan with KAV is lengthy so I usually run it when I go to bed. I don't know if it's necessary but when I run it I disconnect from the internet and shut NOD32 down then let it run. I did notice though that KAV still shows up in my task manager after I run the scan even though it's not set to run as resident-don't know if I'm explaining this right but it seems that when I open KAV to run the scan it also stays active to provide resident protection even though the resident protection is disabled. So I make sure it's shut down before I turn NOD32 back on.

I don't know if there would be a problem with running the KAV scan only with NOD32 running as resident but I figure it doesn't hurt to play it safe and shut down NOD32 as long as I'm not on the internet.

I also sometimes use the free online scans, I know Panda has one and I think McAfee and Symantec have free ones too. Haven't had any conflicts with NOD32 using them.

BUT KAV for me hasn't found anything that NOD32 missed so while a second AV may give you a little more peace of mind it may be unnecessary. ;)

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Well said. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.