My best friend is a PC

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Link to story: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/35775.html

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:DMY BEST FRIND IS JAN AND LOWATTER MARK :( EVEN THOUG LOWATER NO WRITE ME AS MUCH NO MORE

PROBABLY HAS A WOMAN NOW LOL

3. bigc73542

There was a mini poll asked a couple of days ago asking if your computer was male or female. Maybe LWM has a female computer and she is jealous and won't let him out as much. :D :D ;)

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Lets use our computer to remember
    From January to December
    Becoz I never pressed keys
    like the way I have pressed this keys...
    Now or Never... wanna let this computer go

:D :D :D :D :D

5. bigc73542

This computer is only about four months old since manafacture so it hopefully should last me awhile. I tried to get one that wouldn't need upgrading right away and so far so good. The only thing I have really done to it was take xp home out and install a modified xp pro that is light and blindingly fast.It only take 1.8gigs to do a clean install. ;)

6. atena

atena Registered Member

What?!? You can have a best friend that is NOT a PC? :D :D :D

OK, I'm still a kid, and I'll always be... Funny, I've never felt like this about Teddy bears...

But seriously, my SO refuses to give/throw away his first machine (something with 120 MHz) , it's collecting dust around the house. And it still works... At least I'm not that attached - I'm always ready to leave my best friend if a faster one comes around... Guess I'm just a bad person...

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Atena,

This may or may not help you understand.

I used to have an extra computer, a 200 Mhrz Pentium model. The first MMX pentium. I had upgraded the memory to 96 MB, hard drive to 10 GB, and the video to the fastest (not very) ATI card that it could handle. (for a time I had a 2D accelerater with and add-on video memory board and a separate Voodoo board for 3D acceleration) Also replaced the sound card and added a NIC card during its lifetime. I went to great lengths to get the extra large tower case, for future expansion, and just to give it the look of "a real computer". I had that computer for something like five years, and took great pride in the fact that people who used it would often remarked that "it seemed faster than their computers with much faster processors." And they were right! I don't know exactly why but this machine was fast...within its own class.

Sadly, the day came when I could no longer run new programs and even browse the web efficiently. I gave it up for my current machine. But what to do with the old one. Well, this guy I new, he used his computer alot from what I could see, and it was a 486. Well, I did something I was sure would make someone elses life so much brighter. I gave him the old warrior, the Blade Runner (my old computer i mean).

I was proad of my selfless act, though I tried to hide it. Then one day I am over visiting. Naturally, I just want to look in on my old friend. That's when I found out, "....oh, i gave it to my sister (or was it brother).

DAMN IT, DON'T GIVE YOUR OLD COMPUTERS AWAY! THE WORLD IS FULL OF THANKLESS INGRATES WHO WILL USE YOUR MACHINES THEN THROW THEM ASIDE LIKE A USED DISH RAGS.

- HandsOff

8. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I find that a personal computer is very convenient. :) More than I expected it would. The possibilities are endless... Especially when you have to do some research on a particular subject. I never enjoyed watching tv programs very much. I bought it one year and a half ago and I never regretted my decision...And it becomes a "real friend" when it gives you the opportunity to communicate with those friends who are abroad.

9. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

teehheheehh :) You Think?

My BF is like me. PC mongers ! It's so hilarious :) I'm all about security and his wide open and had to format his pc like 3 times in 2weeks :) mouahaha lol

10. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

From Flux

Well, some people don't give a hoot about security, do they? The computer store seller told me when I bought my computer:

"You just need an antivirus...nothing else...."

Then he told that firewalls programs are for companies only and there was no point buying one for a private purpose... o_O Today I run a firewall and many other security programs and I don't find that any of them are superfluous... ;)

11. FluxGFX

- he use to be all uptight on security but he's been lacking in security his box. So I'm undergoing complete system reinstall WinXP SP1 with hardware firewall soho and then fix all the bugs on windows update, av, at, fw, ssm and lot more stuff. I've removed IE from his freaking computer and installed FireFox :) god I love foxy ! :) mouahaha

12. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I love Firefox too! :) It has many good extensions that you can download! I added the "Dictionnary Search", "Copy Image" and the "Advanced Research" and they suit me all right! much secure than IE!!!! :D

Mais on doit quand même le garder pour les mises à jour de window, n'est-ce paso_O On a comme pas le choix disons!!! :p

:D

13. FluxGFX

- Pas vraiment les patches on peut aller les cherchers soit même :)

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Désolé j'avais oublié de mentionner que je parlais D'IE mais bon, tu m'as compris quand même! :)
    Si tu va chercher ces patchs toi même tu peux les installer sans passer par IEo_O?

I read somewhere that you do need IE to install those patches?

o_O

15. FluxGFX

- Well I would guess so if you want to patch IE frome exploit.... but then again, if you don't have IE... doesnt really affect it. But I haven't encounterd that problem

16. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well, thanks! One is never too informed!
    alors cela doit s'appliquer qu'aux mise à jours automatiques...
    "ET téléphone maison" ;)

17. FluxGFX

Surment :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.