My awful experience with Revo Uninstaller

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

The first time I bought the Pro version after reading so many good reviews, I formatted my laptop just for the sake of having all my installations of my programs monitored with Revo Uninstaller and to ensure everything works perfect...I installed all the programs one at a time....

One day, there was an update for Java, so I uninstalled the current Java using Revo Uninstaller but when I launched Firefox all my bookmarks, settings, addons were gone! as if I had just installed Firefox....

I was very mad and contacted Revo and got a refund.....they didn't even argue with me or try to tell me that I did something wrong....seems they know their uninstaller has some issues.....

anyway, a few months later, Revo Uninstaller was on a 50% discount......so I thought let me give it another chance because according to all reviews I read it seems to be the best....

This time I bought it......installed and activated.... then I had a small glitch with my laptop so I formatted and reinstalled Revo Uninstaller but it wouldn't activate!!!

I contacted support and they reset my activation code although I told them I was not happy about it being so darn sensitive it's not like I formatted a 100 times or used it on another laptop......my laptops has the same computer name their app should be able to tell like all other programs which have an activation method....

Anyway.....they reset my code......but after a few days, when I launched Revo Uninstaller....it again told me it was an Unregistered Version!

So much for being honest and paying for an app!!

I have lost faith in this company and they issued me a refund yet again....at least they don't rip you off in that....

I have learned my lesson....I won't bother with these Uninstallers at it takes double the time to install apps while having them monitored and any small glitch or disk activity and you are asking for troubles.....

Furthermore, Revo Uninstaller currently does not support installation of programs which require a reboot like Neto 11 for example..after Nero 11 installs a few components, it reboots then continues to install the rest.... Revo's take on this was that I need to create to monitoring logs and name them Nero (part 1) and Nero (part 2)...installation of programs which require a reboot will be supported in the next version of Revo Uninstaller but for now you have to do it manually and I still don't see how this would work when you want to uninstall that program and it has 2 logs....

just wanted to share my experience on this....

Ill never use an Uninstaller or registry cleaner anymore as they do more harm than good.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What setting do you use? I always use Safe. And when cleaning remnants I only delete items in BOLD. I've never had any trouble with Revo Uninstaller.

3. berryracer

And what about the activation issues? on the same computer it is so fragile man

I used to remove all the entries but they were all relevant to the program im uninstalling so I dont see where the problem is here

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well, it's not like you weren't told.

But then again, as they say, you have to try it yourself.
    Which still leaves the question why start a thread?

5. berryracer

To share my experience, isn't that what forums are for? :rolleyes:

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What activation issues? Your problem is in removing ALL the entries. Analogy: Deleting ONLY the bold items is trimming the branches. Removing ALL the entries is cutting down the tree. The tree being the Registry. Thus borking your OS.

7. berryracer

Oh no...I meant when i installed Revo Uninstaller Pro, I activated it, I never I never uninstalled any program at this point...but when I ran Revo Uninstaller Pro again, it said on the title bar that it is unregistered version, if I register it again, upon restart, it would lose the activation again.

The support has reset my code ones then this problem recurred after 5 days... I wasn't willing to go through this hassle with a paid app

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Revo..."best waaaa!!!11!!eleven!!" everywhere because they have a free version, thank god for Total Uninstall.

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Probably if he had used the free version of REVO(lack of realtime monitoring)the OP wouldn't had such a bad experience...
    Total Uninstall would had done the same..

10. berryracer

Free version doesn't support 64-Bit

11. berryracer

Very interesting post frmo a member on Anandtech Forums on this:

12. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

No, Total Uninstall is much better at cleaning up after an uninstallation, and support reboot after built-in uninstaller has run and then continue doing it's work after startup.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm using it on Win 7 x64.

14. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Not sure what u mean by beter..Hope u mean safer..
    I have a license for it,but stopeed using it..A free registry snapshot and registry finder tool will do the same (not that i would use either)
    For ex:A free install of daemon tools lite ,shows in TU logs entries from comodo firewall & firefox..IMO those apps even if they interacted with the installation(comodo by checking to its database or whatever it did and firefox-cos daemon tools connected with it's homepage) don't belong there...
    And this was a simple install(no sptd checked to install,no reboot required) .. ..If u had a adobe soft,visual studio or something similar that writes a lot to registry-ads visual runtime,net framework..etc and requires reboot ,good luck if u come to situation of cleaning after something like that..

15. berryracer

Nero 11 installs like 6 diff. components before it even starts the installation of its other 6 or so programs...

those include backup drivers, reboot validator, ms runtime 2010, and many others

16. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

You can use the free version on a 64-bit machine, but your 64-bit applications can not be viewed or uninstalled in the free version, Only 32-bit. That is why most users who use the free version never see all their apps listed. Only the paid version offers full 64-bit functionality. This is what berryracer meant in his post.

17. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Im not using monitoring, and yes, it's better and still quite safe, Revo leave behind lots of folders and registry entries TU get rid off.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I noticed that most of my installed programs show in Free V. But you are correct not all my programs are showing up.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

This is the second time you have told your story in separate threads over time. I think your point was made the first time. :)

20. berryracer

Thanks for clarifying this dude :)

21. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

No problem

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have the pro version, and have had no problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.