My AV Choices for 2011/12

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Why only look at the On-demand and Proactive/retrospective tests and not the Whole product dynamic tests?

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

How could you know the date of the tests?
    Are you working in AV-C?

Speculations are not the same as knowledge. Enjoy the learning. :D

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

On demand results aren't worth as much as some of the other tests, as they all tend to do well including McAfee - but people still get infected.

As the OP points out, the Kings of Restrospective tests have been Avira, Eset, and Kaspersky for years. Avira have steadily reduced their FPs to be in line with Eset and Kaspersky. IMO FPs aren't so important for a competent user, but that can get annoying (ala A-Squared Free).

Also, Kaspersky 2012 is much less heavy than previous versions.

Panda is making strides in the retrospective tests as well - it's my current choice, partly because my security setup doesn't rely on an antivirus so I just needed something light that complemented everything else I use. Anyone designing a security setup should actually have the main vectors for infection in mind: user dependent (trojans, email attachments), browser / Exploit Kits, and internet worms.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

:D

These AV-C reports anybody can download from their web site as pdf files.

The dates of the tests are recorded in their reports.

I'm too olde to work for anybody now including AV_C.

I don't speculate in choosing software. :D

5. Escalader

Thanks very much for the link.

It's good to know they will update but I will not wait for them forever.

Attached for information is a jpg of my Not so current Pure Update Screen:

It updates every 5 minutes which seems pretty current BUT if it is dipping into a slightly behind malware database then I'm NOT optimal with KAV!:'(

Attached Files:

6. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

AFAIK the malware database isn't behind at all, but the core engine is older and lacks some of the improvements which have been made with versions 2011 and 2012. I believe it's mostly visible as Pure being slower/heavier than 2012, there shouldn't be a large difference in protection, especially with default settings.

7. Escalader

What you are saying here makes sense to me as KAV would not likely keep 2 versions of a malware database.

The programming code in the engine is what we are dealing with here.

KAV indicates that PURE will be updated to 2012 level before year end.

That is good enough for me.

The additional features of Pure are important to me as I can consolidate PSW management and encryption AND install on 3 computers with 1 license.
    The encryption feature creats a virtual drive where every file I put there (tax, banking statements etc etc) gets encrypted.

Once I figure out how to do it (later after upgrade) it can control all 3 PC's on the same LAN. That is IF I install PURE on each PC then I can update the malware database and scan from the master PC. There is also a RUN SAFE feature which is only relevent for the 32 bit pc's. Mine is Windows 7 64 so I don't need that.

So this beast is just a bit more than an AV.

8. Escalader

TY. Interesting point. I haven't looked at those tests.

If we did the double double ADVANCED + and ended up with say 4 or 4 tied vendors then we would need tie braking factors. Performance, scan speed etc,

What types of data/information is available from Whole product tests?

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

The whole product test has a more real world scenario and all features of the products come into testing. There is vulnerable out-dated software on the test pc's, samples are downloaded through the internet so URL blockers can show what they're worth, samples are executed so behaviour-blockers or analyzers and HIPS come into play, and because the machines are connected to the net products can profit from cloud/reputation data etc.
    If you end up with tied vendors you can use the results from AV-C's performance test.

10. Escalader

Yes! Excellent!:cool:

I'm going to their site to do a tie breaker if possible!

More later.:D

11. Escalader

Yes I just reviewed the report. It is a signicant piece of technical analysis since with the involvement of a Computer Science and Engineering university.

As far as my two choices earlier described the report does not change the outcome in fact it confirms it.

However it is my initial sense that this report will be my starting point in the future and use the on demand and proactive reports to rank those products.

I would just use the top catergory as my starting set. Had I done that Avira would not have been considered. :'(

A year from now we will visit this again. Thanks for the idea and I recommend this report to anybody considering a change or having a license expire.

On the other hand if users feel so strongly about their selections and loyal to a vendor none of this has any value for them. This is just my opinion.

12. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I like your selection of options for your computers. I did basically the same thing as you, as I was removing Vipre and looking for a replacement, I went to AV-C and also looked for advanced + options for my systems too.

I actually narrowed it down to Avira or Kaspersky. Both of which I trialed on my system and ultimately I just bought KIS 2012. I actually thought both products were really nice and ran great. I only selected KIS due to my personal preference of the interface. I appreciate your sharing your personal selections, I found it interesting since I just did the same thing myself.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not experienced FPs with my choice, and see no reason to change.
    Jerry

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Yes, it is a very nice report to help choosing a product, though I would recommend to take in account tests from other respectable testing organizations like AV-Test and MRG as well to get a more complete view.
    Very true :p

15. Escalader

Yes, it would be wise I think to check other reliable sources.

Thing is, I'm unfamilar with both those organizations.

It would be interesting to compare the rankings / methods from them but I don't have time at the moment.

Maybe someone else can invest some effort and do that. That might have to be another thread.

16. Escalader

Info For the thread:

I re-installed KAV PURE this time leaving out the backup feature, the Password system AND their FW. I have Paragon for backup Roboform for PSW management and I installed OP FW Pro 64 bit because I have the rules for it and can manage it.

On OP Pro I choose not to install their ASW and their web site management.

It is very interesting to me anyway that KAV and OP seem to work together okay. I also added them to each others exclusion lists.

17. Escalader

Hello Thread:

Well I ran into a "huge issue" for me. (that's me not you).

On KAV Pure when I added sites to the "blocked" list which included wild characters using *, my entire W7 64bit system refused to boot!

So I recovered an image using Paragon Backup and recovery suite 10 to when I had OP FW Pro and Nod32 V5 working together.

Then I simply renewed my Nod32 license and have carried on from there.

On the second PC I'm still on MSE but as users know it is a shade slow on scanning time. So to get some value out of my KAV Pure licence (1 year) I'll replace MSE with PUre. It is a Vista setup so it should work.

I will not be using the block site feature with my own added sites on the Vista setup.

See yah:cool:

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Question about Kaspersky Pure - does the Pure version use the SDK engine? If so, why and what's the difference between the sdk vs. the engine used in other Kaspersky products?

19. fax

fax Registered Member

No, SDK package is for third party companies only.

20. Escalader

Sorry I can't answer this I leery of the threads going off rails you know my AV is best etc etc.... never achieves anything.

But Fax has given you an answer. The other place is the vendor site, ask them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.