my admin rights are gone?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by imdb, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi
    xp sp3 here. installed sandboxie recently and activated "drop my rights" option in sandbox settings.
    and then recently i uninstalled sandboxie. since then, i can not run softwares such as "autoruns" (owned by sysinternals previously) or malwarebytes' anti-malware. for mbam, i tried everything that's recommended to do to no avail.
    though i'm an admin on my system, i lost my admin rights it seems.
    what am i supposed to do other than system restore or image restore?
    thanks

2. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

You could try booting into safe mode. Log onto the hidden admin account and create another admin account. Then reboot and try the new admin account.

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

but i don't want to lose my current profile because all the softwares and os are tailored according to my needs.
    any other ideas?

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Had you left the "drop my rights" settings enabled when you uninstalled Sandboxie? I assume with your current problem you cannot reinstall it? Maybe create a new account in addition to your current one, reinstall Sandboxie, change the setting back from that account, and then log into the broken account. If that fails maybe log into the new account, change your old account from Admin to limited in Windows, reboot, then change it back? Worth a try I would think.

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

sorry, my bad. i shoulda mentioned that not all my admin rights are gone, i still got other admin rights, i just can't install and run mbam, and when i try to remove or disable something from "autoruns"s logon list it says "access denied". these are the two things i've seen so far that made me think i have lost my admin rights. i guess i can do other things that require an admin account. or maybe i got problems in some other areas, too but i don't know yet, who knows?
    thanks anyway.

6. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

If its just those two programs, then try this, for autoruns, open the program, click file, then run as admin
    For MBAM go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and find the Chameleon folder and double click the Chameleon.chm file to open the Chameleon help file,

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.