Mustang’s TrueImage 11 Winbuilder VistaPE CD Checkout

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bruce Mahnke, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I have just completed creating a CD from the VistaPE.iso file. When booting the CD a desktop opens up with three icons on it. These are:
    · A43 File Management
    · Map Network Drive
    · Total Commander

The CD was created using Mustang’s VistaPE Winbuilder script, Winbuilder and Microsoft’s Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). I also used ImgBurn.

I didn’t expect this to be totally functional in that I am using WinXP, SP2 Home and not Vista. I did expect to see an icon for TrueImage 11, build 8053 which is installed on this PC.

My question then is this: Is there anything that I can do to confirm that the ISO image and the resulting CD are correct without having to boot up in Vista which I will not persue for some time? My main interest here is being able to do repairs on Vista systems where a DVD was not provided with the PC purchase. Creating this at this time was only intended to be an academic exercise.

2. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Something is wrong.

When the CD boots, choose VistaPE from the menu. Then select LiteStep as the shell after VistaPE finishes loading. You should be at a fully working desktop with an Acronis icon.

3. Bruce Mahnke

I agree that something is wrong. I have booted to the CD and selected VistaPE from the menu followed by selecting LiteStep as the shell. This does not present an Acronis icon. Need to figure this out. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I’m running WinXP and not Vista. Will play with it some more, time permitting. Thank you for responding to the posting. I appreciate all thoughts.

Bruce

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Bruce,

You will get a True image 11.0 icon if you configured the script properly. See the attached image. You need to specify your system drive leter (default is C: ), location of TI Program files (default is C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome) and the serial number (copy and paste from the registry).

Do you see the TI files using the A43 utility? If you checked Run from ram, look under the X: drive. If you unchecked Run from ram, look under the Y: drive.

Attached Files:

• TI11.jpg
      TI11.jpg
      File size:
      198.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Bruce Mahnke

Following up to my original posting, I went back through the process of creating a VistaPE CD with Mustang’s Acronis True Image Home 11.0 Winbuilder VistaPE script.

Booting to this CD I find that indeed I do now have the True Image icon on the desktop. Interesting to note that this CD was created on a PC running True Image 10, build 4942. When booting up on the intended PC running TI-11, build 8053 and opening the True Image icon, the Help -> About displays True Image 10. Guess I will need to go through the process again. I also observed that my three internal IDE drives were not detected by TI but I expect that this is because I’m using WinXP and not Vista. Learning is an interesting process.

6. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Bruce,

That's an interesting mistake you made. I tried it myself to see what would happen. I got he same results you got. TI 10 would run, but not see the hard drives. This is because TI 11.0 has a new service for Try & Decide called tdrpman. They put the service name in an Upper Filters entry in the registry. The fact that the Upper Filter entry is present, but the service is missing, is causing the hard drives to disappear.

If you build on a computer with TI 11.0 installed, it will work properly and see your hard drives. Likewise, if you use the TI 10.0 script on that computer with TI 10.0 installed, it will work properly and see your hard drives.

7. Bruce Mahnke

Well, I created the VistaPE CD on the PC that has True Image 11, build 8053. Booting to it the desktop opens correctly showing the True Image icon. Opening it starts up True Image 11 and the build 8053 is correct. Attempting (as an exercise only) I proceeded to walk through the process of creating an image. Having four drives connected (3 internal & 1 Seagate FreeAgent USB), only the USB drive is available. What I cannot confirm is in that I’m using WinXP and not Vista this might be the issue. Perhaps I need to order additional scripts. Will think about that. It’s been fun working with it but now there are Christmas issues to deal with.

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Bruce,

Using XP instead of Vista should not create any problem.

Sometimes you get a jinks going. Try building the VistaPE CD without the TI 11.0 script. See if you can see the internal hard drives with the A43 Utility. If not, you know you have a driver issue. What source did you use for the build? I'm guessing you used the WAIK.

9. Bruce Mahnke

Will try to do it tomorrow. Yes, I did use the WAIK as that was the only source that I had.

Bruce

Edit:
    This does not follow your instruction but with limited time available I simply booted to the CD and selected A43 File Management. The CD drives and USB drives are listed, the internal drives are not. I will go through the entire process as you suggested when I have time. At this point I'm simply trying to supply you with what I know. With regard to driver issues I have never had a problem. These are old PC's (~ year 2003). A thought does come to mind though since you mentioned a driver issue. My internal drives are connected to a Promise Technology, Inc. PCI card #Ultra133 TX2. That may be the reason that they are not being detected. I would expect that after all these years the driver would be integrated into these systems. Perhaps it's time to upgrade my two PC's but it won't be this year. Thanks for mentioning the driver issue, this got me thinking.. Reference also this site for the card:
    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?product_id=87

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  10. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Bruce,

I'm very familiar with the Promise cards. I used to use them all the time. Just for fun, I'll put one in with a drive attached and see if a VistaPE CD can see the drive. I'll let you know what happens.

11. mustang

mustang Developer

It is definitely a driver problem. Vista does not natively support the Promise card. I wasn't able to make the VistaPE CD work with the Promise card by adding the driver. I used the new VistaPE Beta 011 and the newly added procedure for adding drivers. It didn't work. Then I booted a Vista DVD and was not able to see the drive attached to the Promise card. I was able to supply the WinXP Promise driver and then Vista saw the drive.

If I were you, I would retire the Promise card before going to Vista. Why make your life difficult. Get some tooth picks and some red string and set the Promise card on the shelf like it was in a museum with red velvet ropes around it. ;) I'm sure it has served you well and deserves it.

12. Bruce Mahnke

I agree with your conclusion and have put red string on my shopping list. I had noticed that Promise has released a driver for Vista which was nice of them to do. Removing the Promise card creats a bit of a problem for me and expense in that each of my PC’s have three PATA hard drives which are heavily used, two DVD/CD-RW drives and a ZIP drive which can be removed.

Your assistance in this matter has been greatly appreciated. It is unfortunate that there doesn’t appear to be a way to integrate the Promise driver into the VistaPE CD. Would the new Vista driver (v2.1.03) from Promise be a possibility?
    http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=87&category=driver&os=0&go=GO

Thank you once again and best wishes for the holidays.

Bruce Mahnke

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  13. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Bruce,

I've emailed the new Vista driver to NightMan to see if he can put it into the SATA drivers script. You can follow the discussion here.

14. Bruce Mahnke

Probably not an issue but you mentioned SATA. You’ve mentioned that you’re familiar with the card so I hesitate to mention this. The card is PCI and only provides an interface to internal PATA drives. In Device Manager it shows up under SCSI and RAID controllers.

Bruce

15. mustang

mustang Developer

I know, but they only have two driver scripts. One is LAN and the other is SATA. Let's see if it works.

16. Bruce Mahnke

Understand. Sounds good.

17. mustang

mustang Developer

Bruce,

I was able to write a script to get the Promise Ultra TX2 card working in VistaPE. Check your email.

18. Bruce Mahnke

I have the file and sent a reply to your e-mail. It works very well and hopefully it will help others. That is/was a very popular card. I've installed several where a BIOS couldn't support large drives.

I must say that I am very impressed with your abilities. Very talented.

Best regards.
    Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.