Must Kaspersky be totally exclusive?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When I get ready to try a new antivirus program, I always disable all of the real-time activities of my *usual AV*. That is, I use Autoruns to unclick all of my usual AV's processes from start-up. I do not, however, uninstall my usual AV.

When I attempted to trial KAV, it refused to install unless I totally uninstalled my usual AV. I decided not to trial KAV under those conditions.

I know it's not wise to run 2 antivirus programs simultaneously in real-time, but I know of no technical reason why I shouldn't be able to trial KAV while having a second antivirus installed, provided I only use the second antivirus in an on-demand capacity.

Am I missing something here?

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's just me or you answered your own question in your first sentence.

Impossible to run along other av, for KAV at least.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Kaspersky are likely erring on the side of caution in order to prevent a flood of "I installed KAV with X and my system crashes!..." support calls. Realistically, the number of people who know how to configure AVs to run on-demand only is going to be dwarfed by those who think its a good idea to just slap multiple scanners on.

Most AVs also install drivers and hooks in Windows which remain present even when background scanning is disabled. These could also increase the chances of system conflict with other products.

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

The AVs I have tried to install alongside Kaspersky and succeeded in utterly FUBARing my system are: NOD32 v3, avast!, Symantec. The PDM doesn't play very nicely alongside ThreatFire either.

As always, your mileage may vary.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In think in this scenario, both of U n KAV are correct. What,s the problem? Keep like this!:D

6. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

No, you missed nothing. I know you ‘disabled’ all running processes from memory using autoruns, but there is more:

1. Paranoid gave some reasons- drivers and hooks ‘hanging on’.

2.Auto Protection for resident AV – vendors do not use similar naming for it and it may cause other problems.

3.Memory problems – even when disabled one cannot really tell how the AVs use memory and may lead to false positives when there is more than one AV installed.

You are right there is no 'technical reason' not to run an extra on-demand scanner but it is very tricky. Some vendors tried to supply 'on-demand' versions but they never really became popular. :cool:

7. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

why not run Kaspersky SOS on demand scanner or Doctor Web Cureit. I think both will work with yur antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.