Musicmatch(mim.exe) conflict with NOD32 ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bs259, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I'm not sure why but every version (2.5 and 2.7) of NOD that I had installed on different computers always seem to have problems with high CPU use in task manager, when I looked to see why I would always notice mim.exe cpu usage was always very high, if I terminated the proccess, NOD went back to scanning normally. Does anybody else have this problem or know why it happens everytime there is an anti-virus scan?

2. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

mim.exe isn't part of nod32...

Try uninstalling Musicmatch Jukebox and reinstalling it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

nop not had this problem with any version including current beta

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Correct - known issue with MusicMatch Jukebox from about v9 onwards.

mim.exe runs silently and does something that nobody will tell about (we think it watches what files are accessed but do not know for what purpose, possible it is just trying to check if any files are added/changed in the music folders that have been configured in MusicMatch) but the high CPU issue does not occue in any case I've seen until after heavy file access eg. a full system scan but NOD32 is not the only thing that triggers this. There's a couple of other threads regarding this here at Wilders somewhere.

Try contacting MusicMatch Technical Support and please post back and let us know how you go. It was a lot worse before the in the current version.

Cheers :)

5. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

Yes I have noticed that avira does the same thing, kaspersky doesn't have this problem though?

6. NOD32 user

Maybe it's fine if your full scan doesn't include mp3 files or any music files something?

7. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

All original scans were full scans, KIS 6.0 didnt have problem with cpu running really high whereas NOD32 and Avira did, not sure why this would happen, but you said it is a known problem, I would like to try NOD32 V3 suite when it comes out to finally decide what I will be going with. but if this problem isn't fixed by then I guess the decision will be easy.

8. NOD32 user

actually it is a problem with mim.exe, hence the suggestion to contact musicmatch support. I purchased a licence back at about v4 or 5 with lifetime upgrades but since the last couple of updates when yahoo took them over I don't even have it installed anymore. While you're asking MusicMatch tech support about the issue with mim.exe, try see if anybody who know what it does is prepared to say, and then ask them What does 'clear pixel hidden window' do? Maybe they're both nothing...

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Here is a description of the MIM.EXE program (which may also be distributed with a companion program MIMBOOT.EXE in some versions of MusicjMatch Jukebox):

This file is a COM exe server that manages the database and devices for MusicMatch programs. By default it starts at user login; it helps MusicMatch applications come up faster and also provides for the following capabilities even when a MusicMatch application isn't running: 1) watchfolder operation (automatic add/update of tracks to the database); 2) UPnP content directory services.

I found that text here, and there's also a discussion of the program here, a nice mention of it here and it is even mentioned in a couple of mentions of it in MusicMatch's FAQ here and here.

It seems the program is used to monitor the system for the creation (downloading) of new MP3 and other music files and also monitoring the network for the addition of uPnP multimedia devices.

It does not appear the program is actually needed to use MusicMatch Jukebox, so you may wish to try removing the registry entry which starts it (taking appropriate safeguards to backup your registry before making any changes to it) and then renaming the file(s) to MIM.EXE.OLD and MIMBOOT.EXE.OLD. You can then restart the computer and verify the application works correctly when these files are no longer "present" on the system (at least with .EXE extensions).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

That is fine and dandy, but why should I have to do any of that, NOD is seeing it as a problem, KIS doesnt have any issue with it, why cant NOD do something to keep this problem from happening?

11. NOD32 user

Actually, NOD32 doesn't have any issue with it or see it as a problem.

Thanks agoretsky,
    Tried removing mimboot.exe from startups some time ago but at each launch of the MusicMatch Jukebox it launches mim.exe if it is not already running. Will try the ask dave tips if ever I reinstall it again - scrapped it some time ago.
    Will still love one day to hear what the clear pixel hidden window component is for.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  12. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I'm not saying necessarily that NOD has a prob with it, but while running scan CPU goes way up, KIS is not affected by mim.exe at all (why is this happening)? Why should I be forced to change registry or do anything else?

13. NOD32 user

Actually on my system CPU stays way up (mim.exe) long after the scan finishes.
    I don't think you should be forced to change the registry or any other thing but if you want to fix the problem with mim.exe your choices seem to be either try Daves Tip that agoretsky posted a link to above or contact MusicMatch Tech Support to get it fixed. Just because the symptoms of the problem only show in certain circumstances does not mean that the problem does not exist the rest of the time. I have already spent as much time as I am prepared to with MusicMatch tech support on this issue and eventually and begrudgingly dumped MusicMatch in spite of owning a lifetime upgrade license which I was really wild about - I still get worked up about it now.

Good Luck :)

14. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I understand you spent as much time with them as you were willing to spend. I too have the lifetime upgrade license, and I do happen to like the product, The one question I guess I have now would be if eset knows that there is some kind of problem and these 2 dont like to play nicely with each other, why can't the design a fix (KIS is not affected by mim.exe) or are they willing to work with Musicmatch to see if there is something musicmatch can do to resolve it?
    The way I see it is it would be in their best interest to try to get whatever the problem is fixed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  15. NOD32 user

Later I'll write a small script to sequentially read the contents of every music file and see if I can reproduce the error with mim.exe that way, I think that should be all that is required to trigger the error but I have some other things to get finished first.

16. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

Any updates?

17. NOD32 user

Have got the script sorted [type *filename* > nul for each library item] but after reinstalling MMJB I doscovered the library is not correctly working at this time due to an issue with Jet database engine it uses. Will either fix/re-install/use another PC.
    This is totally not a NOD32 support issue.
    The only reason I'm trying to replicate it in such a simple manner is to give you some more stuff to take to MMJB as supporting documentation but I can see already that the simple script I've written will not run as fast as NOD32.
    Will keep you posted.

18. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The program is probably performing an action which intersects one of NOD32's modules, such as AMON or IMON. You can try excluding it from being scanned by one of them at a time to see if that helps isolate the performance problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

19. NOD32 user

I have only had the issue when using the on-demand scan and it includes the music folder. Also, it was not isolated to NOD32 scanning but other application that scanned files and folders could also trigger it. I have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was some kind of overflow in mim.exe after persistent access to files it was watching.

The present jet database error I have is (I believe) unrelated to MMJB except that MMJB is impacted by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.