museumquarter

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by gerardwil, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Good luck with the Server Upgrade Paul and have a few of these after its finished.

Gerard

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gerard,

You are well informed :eek: :D - Fingers crossed, and after the flawless upgrade, I'll follow your advice for sure ;)

regards.

paul

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And you can also play chess in "Ledig Erf" :D

(well, you could in "my time" ;) ).

Groetjes, Jan.

4. Paul Wilders

It's still there, Jan. Haven't been there for ages though :rolleyes:. Playing chess on rather rare ocassions nowadays.

regards.

paul

5. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Don't be ashamed, dear Paul!
    Former world champion, the late Jannes van der Wal didn't play 'his' game frequently in his best years....
    In stead he enjoyed playing...... BRIDGE!!! :D

Give it a try, if you'll find a fourth man we can play some robber together with Gerardwil sometime!
    Now that'll be fun ;)

grtz,
    Slammer :cool:

6. slammer_JvA

My best wishes as well!
    And hey guys.... have you ever tried one of these?
    (You're invited to come to the one (and only ;)) Dutch city that never sleeps, to have a round on me!

Cheers!

Slammer :D

Attached Files:

7. Paul Wilders

slammer.

Very true - but ahem, you might know how chess players look upon checkers and those playing that game :D

...a better choice no doubt.

You most probably are right. That said: my parents urged me to start learning continiously since my 10th birthday 7 years in a row. Coming with the age, naturally I stubbornly refused. That's many decades ago, and somehow I've lost he appetite way back :rolleyes:

Its sure would be. I could ask Marijke van der Pas to join us - although I haven't seen here for ages ;)

regards.

paul

8. Paul Wilders

I'll keep that in mind! ;)

regards.

paul

9. slammer_JvA

;) I knew I just had to draw your attention with this post!!! -grin :D

Indeed, I know how chess-players react to checkerplayers; then again all that rivalry between the players of those noble games/sports is very humorous, imho. :)

Jannes played all of them at a very high level (including GO, I believe...)

Too bad you've lost appetite! I had exactly such folks ;) yet I did study for at least 4 months to get the basics under control -major setback to any interested beginners btw... :(-
    Then, after highschool, I lost track of my bridgepartner; got different interests (sex & drugs & rock 'n' roll :D) and didn't play for 10 years!
    Ten 'lost' years, I say now.
    Playing bridge has given very much in life sofar; socially, intellectually, spiritually.
    When approached with the right sense of relativity, to me it's a treasure for life.

Marijke van der Pas!
    Wow... talking about World Champions! I sure would like to meet her, so get back in contact and please bring her along to have a beer.
    (I would be very shy, though...for I am 'just' a moderate player; self-knowledge..... ;))

Btw if you're caught-up behind your screen all the time -being the mod- I suggest you take look at www.stepbridge.nl sometime. Once you master the basics, perhaps you can enjoy some deals now and then in the quiet hours. Which reminds me to push this button more often.....haha

grtz,
    Slammer

Attached Files:

10. Paul Wilders

slammer,

Good guess :D

It's fun indeed - not to nbe taken seriously.

You could well be right here; some individuals have extraordinary skills.

It's good to see you really enjoy the game!

I did meet here for years in a row - she served the bar coming with the chess club I used to play for. Talking about say 20 years ago.

I'm most certainly not caught up behind the screen all day :D - heaven forbid...

I'll have a look (if only to point my parents to it!). Chances are very small I would actually am going to learn bridge; famiy, work, social contacts - last but not least this board - one has to make choices in the end :p

regards.

paul

11. slammer_JvA

Sure! :)
    Well, then let me say:
    Your choice may be a pity for "the bridge-society" :cool: - but a certain blessing for "the Wilders-family"! ;) :D

Groetjes,
    Slammer

12. Paul Wilders

slammer,

Thanks for the confidence - but I do have serious doubts about that one :D

..more doubts. I'll ask Monique and my son when time seems fit :D

regards.

paul

13. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi paul
    You can always play me? I must confess i am rather good having played Nigel short and the odd dutch grandmaster
    Jan Timman :D

regards

14. Paul Wilders

Hi Nick,

Let's make sure you how far you are in a different class :D Latest ELO? Mine was aprox. 2100 many, many years ago.

I played Anand way back - He must have been 18 years of age or something like that. Played Jan as well - both on the chess board as on the socker field :cool:

regards.

paul

15. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Paul
    My current rating is around 2000 so it is not bad. Like yourself i only play when i can. I play for the bank where i used to work before i retired with ill health which is when my wife finishes work early. I can then get up to London for a quick game and then get back in time for some computer updating :D
    If you would like a game sometime let us know

regards

16. Paul Wilders

...I would be very pleased being rated 1800 at this very moment :oops:

Once a year like me (5 minute one's only that is)? :D Very sorry to hear about your health problem. Are you feeling better now?

:D Would Amsterdam be an acceptable alternative?

We might go for a postcard or email game! I've never everused a digital database or anything like Fritz etc. - I'd rather re-invent the wheel myself (although I must admit in most cases, I wouldn't recommend anyone using that wheel...).

mmm...taking our nationalities into account, English as well as Dutch opening are far to obvious :D

regards.

paul

regards

17. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Paul
    My last tournament was played in Belgium where our team stayed at the hotel Belson. We were entertained superbly well by our hosts and a good time was had by all. I love Amsterdam and have fond memories of the people and living next to gatwick airport Amsterdam is most probably quicker to get to then London :D My health is not to bad at the present time but i try not to let it get me down :)
    When i do play chess on the net i play on msn games which is good fun
    Sorry for taking this thread off the topic
    regards

18. Paul Wilders

Gent or Antwerpen?

Seems you have the advantage as for travelling :D. Expensive chess game it would be though...

That's good to hear - and that's the spirit :cool:

mmm..I've played over there as well years ago. Surely disliked contenders going off line as soon as they knew they would loose the game. Anyway: it can be fun indeed!

Seems like we both are guilty as charged ;)

regards.

paul

19. NICK ADSL UK

Antwerpen i think! As for travel my passion is for the Caribbean and places like Egypt for the marine life. I agree with you that when playing chess on msn it is annoying when people leave before the game is finished. As for getting to Holland from gatwick it is about £50 return which is very good value i think. My eldest daughter flies once a month over to there as cabin crew for the airline she works with she says it only takes an hour which for her is a blessing as most of her travels are long-haul. Which is alright for some if you can get it i tell her :D

20. Paul Wilders

Ahh..the 'lost boys' tournament?

The Caribbean is nice indeed. Egypt (and for that matter: Sudan, Jordan) do have lots to offer beside marine life: get a horse and travel into the desert, oasises and places too beautiful for words!)

So you have experienced one and the same thing ;)

It sure is.

[qute]My eldest daughter flies once a month over to there as cabin crew for the airline she works with she says it only takes an hour which for her is a blessing as most of her travels are long-haul.For sure; the job looks glamorous, but it boils down to hard work in the end.

;)

regards.

paul

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have to admit that a good game of chess is pretty relaxing, And I am one of the chess players that also enjoys checkers. Never did play bridge but have had some friends that play tell me that it is a lot of fun. have to try it some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.