Multiple XP copies on 1 partition problems...

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by GoatboyKev, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoatboyKev

GoatboyKev Registered Member

Here's my exact steps.

1 - Installed XP Pro on a 3 drive, RAID 0 array. 1 partition.
    2 - Installed disk director suite, then os selector.
    3 - Copied XP Pro OS.

My goal was to keep my "fresh install" as is, have an identical copy to use as my "main system", and a 3rd copy exclusively for "gaming". I didn't want to go through all the trouble of separate partitions and drive letters. (After all...that's what this program is supposed to do for us).

My initial XP (fresh install) works just fine, no issues.
    My copy (main system) boots, but takes a loooong time (about 2 mins after I se the desktop) before I can access the start menu. I get the hourglass an can't access it. So I looked in the event viewer and see the following System Errors:

Source: SideBySide - Event ID: 59 - Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls. Reference error message: Access is denied.

Source: SideBySide - Event ID: 59 - Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Source: Service Control Manager - Event ID: 7016 - The WebClient service has reported an invalid current state 87.

Source: Service Control Manager - Event ID: 7022 - The WebClient service hung on starting.

Longest post ever...
    I've tried erasing the new and copies, re-installing, etc... and seem to get the same results/errors. Errors only in the XP copy. Any ideas how to solve these errors??

2. smiley2

smiley2 Registered Member

For this case:
    In the good old times there was one active partition, and two were hidden.
    The boot manager did this job, to hide / unhide and start.
    Maybe the good old Partition Magic 8.0 (Quarterdeck) is still available, the pqboot32.exe from the Boot Magic Packet should do this job still today.
    One small program, even cmd line options are possible, so a simple double click for changing the OS...

That seems to be gone with this "os selector", too bad.
    I tried to get it working manually, no success, all partitions remained visible.
    I will never try this program again on a system that is really needed.

I noticed that this sw placed a hidden dir named "bootwiz" on every partition (thats fun, isn't it?). Maybe its not smart enough to recognize that you duplicated (copied) the contents of the first partition?

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.