Multiple Partitions on USB Flash Driver

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by werty12345, Jun 18, 2015.

1. werty12345

werty12345 Registered Member

Hi,

I have a 32GB USB thumb drive & looking for a software that can do the following:

1. Create multiple partitions on USB flash drive (preferably 4 partitions).

2. Have the following in each partition:

Partition 1: User data that includes pics, vids, docs, installer files, portable apps, image files (iso), etc...(around 15GB)

Partition 2: Bootable OS (say Windows 10) - (around 4GB)

Partition 3: A live USB like environment which includes anti-virus tools & other tools like partition repair, recover lost data, etc...(around 5GB)

Partition 4: Reserved for Windows "ReadyBoost". (around 3GB)

The biggest challenge with USB thumbdrives is that if one wants to use any of the above, then the entire drive needs to be formatted.

Can I achieve the above with Paragon Partition Manager?

Thanks!

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

With Paragon Partition Manager, you can divide the USB flash drive to several partitions and format each in its FS.
    But everything else, you must perform with other way. At the same time, keep in mind some features:
    Windows recognizes only the first one (assign letter and provide access)
    What is Bootable OS (say Windows 10)? If WinPE, then it should be 200+ MB of space. If WinTuGo, then 10+ GB
    IMHO, for your needs much better suitable - external HDD.
    Even better - Zalman VE 200/300/400. Or flash drive type ISOstick.

3. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

I know of an application that can partition portable USB drives. It defaults to 4 partitions, and can format to various file system types. However, through my experience, Windows cannot detect more than one partition on the portable USB drive. You would have to hot-swap drives through the application I use or another one (if luck is on your side). Only Linux-based OS's can detect all partitions at once.

For a while I used to use a partition manager application and tried to beat the Windows restriction (phat chance!), but hey... Windows won't allow it, so I highly doubt any application running on Windows will help you out either.

The program is called BootIce. It comes in both x86 and x64 versions. The version on MajorGeeks is 1.3.2.1.... No need to pay for it, as it is freeware. Not sure what the policy here is for posting links for executable apps, so I won't. Jump on DuckDuckGo and search for BootIce, it'll pop up with MajorGeeks on the first screen.

Here is a brief description that I found...
    "BOOTICE is a Flash Drive Partitioning and Boot Sector Manipulation tool created by Pauly. It can be used to Partition and Format a USB Flash Drive from Windows. USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, and USB-HDD format options are available, along with the ability to mark a partition active "bootable". BOOTICE can also be used to backup, restore, or modify an MBR or PBR."

4. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Wow... this sounds cool!

5. fireworker

Last version is 1.3.3.2. And can download here too (Cкачать download)

Zalman (iODD) cooler, IMHO, more convenient

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  6. fireworker

What else can be useful Paragon. This can help you create backups of the bootable enviroments (OS) and then deploy them to the appropriate partition. For example, create WinToGo to the entire disk, then reduce her partition as possible, make a backup of the partition and deploy the backup to the any partition of another drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.