Multiple Firefox Profiles

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by merisi, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I'm interested in running multiple versions of Firefox by using different profiles. I'm thinking that I could use one for finances and another for regular surfing with a series of add ons. While I've worked out how to do this, I was wondering if there's a secure way of doing this or if I can have seperate sandboxes (Sandboxie) that can auto launch each profile with different sandbox settings.

At the moment I'm using Palemoon for general surfing, but I'd just prefer to use Firefox. Also I would prefer to avoid using the beta or nightly versions of Firefox.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. merisi

merisi Registered Member

WSFuser, thanks for getting back to me on this. I guess this is going to be a case of trail and error until I can get it working the way that I like.

Does anyone else use multiple Firefox profiles and is it a safe idea?

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I use two profiles. What do you mean exactly by safe? I used to have an add-on that lets you put passwords on your profiles if you're interested in keeping unwelcome eyes out. It's not the greatest, but it will thwart the unsavvy. Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called but you should be able to find it without much trouble. Otherwise, a second profile isn't inherently more unsecure than the default.

If you want to run both profiles simultaneously, use a shortcut with the following target:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote

Assuming FF is installed in Program Files. If not, just substitute the correct path. When you click the shortcut, it opens the profile chooser and you can open any or all of your profiles.

I don't have any experience with Sandboxie so I can't be of any help there.

5. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Unfortunately Firefox still doesn't have a true portable mode so it could be self contained. The profiles.ini is still stored in your users directory. The solution I use is to create a TrueCrypt file based container, then I mount it and create a profile inside it, then have a shortcut to launch Firefox with that profile. This can then be used with any Firefox based browser.

In addition, I also keep the TC container in dropbox so I can use the same profile on multiple pc's. This lets me share tabs. addons etc in a secure manner. The only extra step needed is to copy profiles.ini into your %appdata% directory where Mozilla puts it.

6. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Thanks for you help on this. I've got enough information to get started and I really like the creative ways that other people are using Firefox.

7. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.