Multiple files encrypting

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Zimzi, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

What is the best simple, free software for basic encypting multiple files (whole folder) at once?

Thanks.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

For what purpose? For sending out to people, or secure storage on a shared hard drive?

Also, which OS are you using?

3. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I am runing Windows XP. Need simple software for encryption multiple files just to protect some personal data from other users. Need software that will not freezing or crashing pc, something windows xp friendly.

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

5. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    AxCrypt: nice and fancy on rightclick context menu. BUT encrypted folder/file is not fully secured. it can be renamed, moved and deleated by other users.

6. Close_Hauled

I know that XP Pro, and 2000 have encryption built in. I have never experimented with it, but I know that it there. I can try some experiments with it in my lab to see if it does what you ask.

BTW: Do you have XP Home, or Pro?

7. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi Close_Hauled
    Not sure! But I think what 'Zimzi' and others want is to secure a file, any file anywhere on HD.
    Thats why in my previous post I mentioned that AxCrypt won't secure the file from other users

I know XP pro can handle such. BUT
    It cannot be applied to any folder!!!
    Only works if the folder is dragged to
    Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

If one has a login pass In XP Pro then his folders are automatically secured.
    However, for other folders the option is greyed out

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/1170/abc8ti.jpg

8. Close_Hauled

Thanks,

You are probably right. I have not had time to tinker with it.

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

EFS is file system encryption, not file encryption. The purpose is to protect data on a medium, so that illegal access will not reveal the content of the medium.

File access is used not only for secure storae, but for secure transport aswell.

Axcrypt and others do just that.

SafeGuard Privatecrypto is free for personal use, very nice solution.
    Winzip's 256 bit AES encryption is fairly transparant (although there it seems to be broken two years ago, but that's rather academic). Disadvantage is that you can see the names of the files in the encrypted containerfile.

10. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Why not just use the Windows encryption EFS?

Right click the file/folder select properties and under the general tab select advanced and encrypt.

This will work as long as the other users don't logon under the same account. It's simple and to the point. As long as your saving the data on an NTFS file system and the other users your hiding the data from aren't super tech literate you should have no problem.

Your only problem would be if an admin wants access to the encrypted file/folder. Because I believe they are designated DRAs (Data Recovery Agents)Well this fact is true in networked environments where Active Directory (AD) is involved. If you are on a non-AD system there is no DRA and your data should be safe from all other accounts from accessing it.

11. sam42

sam42 Guest

Try MSI secure doc 128bit encrption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.