Multiple Copies of XP on One HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jwells22, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwells22

jwells22 Registered Member

What is the method to use to clone a copy of XP installed on the first partition [let's say drive C:] to another partition in such a way that the cloned partition is independently bootable. Preferably, I would like to use Acronis OSS interface for booting as I will also be installing Linux on the same drive. Acronis Support recommends using Microsoft sysprep, but I think that's incorrect. According to Microsoft, sysprep is for cloning a drive to another machine.

Also, is it correct that when booted to the cloned partition, that paritition must be assigned the same drive letter as the original [in this case C:] in order to have the internal references be consistent? If so, then this means that when the system is booted to the first partition as C:, the internal references on the cloned partition will be inconsistent with its assigned drive letter [let's say D:]. This would seem to be a problem, but perhaps not because if your booted to the first partition, your not using the second partition and thus it doesn't pose an issue. Is my thinking correct?

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

Please see some of my threads... search for them by my user ID, as I have contributed to many similar posts...

In order to achieve this, the layout of the partitions is very important...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=823983#post823983

I have three OSes all cloned from a single install, all independant of each other, all bootable, and all hidden from each other...

It may not be for all, but it works great for me.. took me a while to get it perfect though!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.