Multiple Clones

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Survtech, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Survtech

Survtech Registered Member

I want to be able to clone my primary hard disk to a second internal hard disk. I understand that I must disconnect the second hard disk before rebooting.

The question is:
    After I update or add any programs on the primary hard disk, how can I re-clone it to the second hard disk if the second hard disk can not coexist with the primary hard disk?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Survtech

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Reconnect it when you are ready to make a new clone it will delete the Data on the destination HDD [the slave] so it can clone.

It you are you are using Ti why not make an Image of your HDD, that way you will not have to disconnect the HDD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Survtech,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would agree with TheQuest.

Please note, that there are two approaches available:
    Disk Clone - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another.
    Create Image - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please read http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#9c

Disk Clone approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive to a larger one, while Create Image approach is basically dedicated for the complete backup and disaster recovery purposes.

I would recommend you to use the latter approach to backup your hard drive.

However the final choice is always up to you.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide which is available at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Survtech

The act of simultaneously connecting a second disk with the O/S and all programs installed will not cause a problem with the primary disk?

By the way, the system is running Win2K Pro. It has and will never have a CD burner, so I don't see any way to get an image restored if the primary hard disk failed, other than to reinstall the O/S and True Image (part of what I am trying to avoid in the first place).

5. Acronis Support

Hello Survtech,

Please note that you will need to unplug the second disk only after the computer will shut down. When you clone the disk Acronis True Image will reboot the computer, then the actual cloning takes place and after that Acronis True Image turns the computer off to let you unplug the second disk.

You may boot into Acronis True Image main screen either using Acronis Bootable CD or activating Acronis Startup Recover Manager. The latter option assumes that you create Acronis Secure Zone. If you have CD drive on the computer (but the drive cannot burn CDs) you may create Acronis Bootable CD on another computer (after that you will need to uninstall Acronis True Image from that computer so that you don't violate End-User License Agreement).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Survtech

I understand that. My point is that when I want to re-clone the primary disk to the second disk that contains the original clone, I will have to boot with both disks connected at the same time. Will this cause a problem with the primary disk's registry, etc. that would prevent me from booting up or accessing True Image?

7. Acronis Support

Hello Survtech,

If you plug both drives and boot with Acronis Bootable CD there will be no problems. There may be the problem only when you boot Windows with both drives present in the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.