Multiple Chrome Flash Plug-ins?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bberkey1, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

I was looking at the plug-ins page for chrome and notice I have 2 flash plugins:

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 12.0.0.44
    Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0

Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
    Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)

Adobe Shockwave Player - Version: 12.0.9r149
    Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.9.149

Name: Shockwave for Director
    Description: Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.9.149
    Type: NPAPI

Is this a problem? I can't seem to find any useful info online so thought I'd ask the forums.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I don't think that's the issue, though. It appears as if the OP has both Flash and Shockwave installed (and the latter can probably be gotten rid of).

See http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Okay I guess that could be the case then.

5. bberkey1

These are the two plug ins:
    plug.png

I tested a video from youtube and dailymotion and a flash game from armorgames while one of the plug ins (top) was disabled. The game and the dailymotion video worked with one of the plug-ins disabled but youtube not so much, re-enable the top and viola, they all seem to play together. When disabling the lower plug in the dailymotion and armor game did not work correctly, so I suppose it was just strange to see two plug-ins, but they appear to work in tandem so no harm no foul. Thanks for the links fellas, much appreciated.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

I suggest that you disable the first NPAPI-type plugin (or even uninstall it unless you need it for other browsers). Chrome comes with the second PPAPI-type plugin which runs in a strong sandbox and is therefore more secure. Moreover, Chrome will gradually drop support for NPAPI altogether.

7. bberkey1

Thanks for the info. I read up on those and dropped the NPAI and retested within my browser, which I forgot to restart during the initial test, but all systems go without the first plugin. Thanks to everyone who lent a hand:D

8. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Just realized I have got #4 Quick time plugins in Chrome. All same release number.

Why?

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Disable them all. No one uses QuickTime anymore and having them enabled increases your attack surface.

10. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Is this a Windows boxo_O Unless you are converting to ALAC (Apple Lossless), you don't really need the plugin install at all.

iTunes' native install no longer requires QT. Previous to that, you could remove it from the executable.

Also, remember if you have the plugin, there is likely the mother executable that loaded it floating around. I would check to see what is inserting the offending plugins and see if you need it in the first place eg: if you don't use iTunes--dump it--and now you will have removed not only the QT plugin, but a lot of other exploitable code.

11. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Well, actually I use that crappy Itunes. I've disabled QT anyway, thanks for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.