multiple back-up files????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djdoc, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djdoc

djdoc Registered Member

:doubt:I just purchased Acronis True Image 8. When I use "Create Image" for backing up my master hard drive to the slave drive I get three seperate files labeled "mybackup1" "mybackup2" and "mybackup3" on my slave drive. After checking 'properties' for each file I found that number 1 contains 4gb's of data, number 2 has 4gb's and number 3 has 1.6gb's. If you total this up it is equal to the amount of data on my master drive. If I access any of the 3 back-up files It looks as though it contains all of the 9.6gb's of data on my master. Anyway, I was wondering why Acronis would split it into 3 backups instead of using just one. Is this normal?

Also I am unable to access the internet while doing a hard drive backup with Acronis (Explorer freezes up). Is this normal? I tried changing the priority from 'normal' to 'low' on Acronis to see if this would use less cpu resources for a backup and enable me to use the internet. But the program would not change priorities.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello djdoc,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

The thing is that FAT32 file system cannot handle files larger that 4 GB. So Acronis True Image automatically splits your image archive onto several files. Also it automatically determines the whole image archive if you will choose any of these three files. Please note that you should keep these files in the same folder in order to operate with backup.

The second problem is really strange. Please try to download and install the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If this problem persists please contact support@acronis.com with the details of your system hardware and SysInfo information.

Please do the following in order to obtain your system information:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Select the System Information item;
    - Choose the Save As System Information File option in the File menu (or Action under Windows 2000);
    - Send us the saved file.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Registered Member

This is what I found when backing up to a FAT-32 partition. I had mutiple files - the largest of which was 4Gbytes. I understand this to be a limitation of the FAT-32 filing system.

I would be interested to know whether you are able to explore your image (by double-clicking on any of mybackup1, mybackup2 or mybackup3) because I have been unable to explore them. I can verify them - but not explore them :(

4. djdoc

djdoc Registered Member

Andrew and Carl: Thanks for the info about W98 4GB limitation. I registered and downloaded the newest version of Acronis True Image, but it still causes
    Explorer to freeze up when I do a hard drive back-up; currently that only takes 10 - 15 minutes, so I don't have to wait to long. This is probably a problem with my system, W98 is pretty flaky, to say the least. I'll know for sure next time I do a complete system re-install. That won't be for a while I hope.

Carl: I can double-click on any of the mybackups 1,2, or 3 and explore the entire back-up. After I double click on it the program requests me to assign a logical drive letter to it and then I am able to explore it as a seperate drive.
    That drive is removed after I shut down and restart my computer. Or you can use Acronis "Unplug Image" to remove it manually.

5. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Registered Member

Yes - that is what I expect to happen - either double click one of the .tib files or use "Explore Image" from the TI8 main menu. I get stuck when TI8 refuses to assign a logical drive letter to the image :(

Still it sounds as though you are having a bit more luck than me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.