Multiple AV Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by slider916, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slider916

slider916 Registered Member

I know it's always been said that running multiple av's can create havoc on a system.

Now you have companies that state that their products can run with existing software.

So, I guess my question is how much is enough, too much, or what ever the case may be?

Thoughts please, as I'm thinking of trying a few of these out.

Thanks.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Oh no, the wilders anti-virus section has created another monster :p

Run and get out while you can;)

3. slider916

Huh??

4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

My only wonder is which one kicks in first o_O

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

It means before you know it, you'll have 20 security programs installed on your machine which is completely unnecessary.

Put less importance on an AV (they are always playing catchup with the bad guys) and instead, put the importance on imaging, secure your browser against info stealers and sandboxing. Run 1 AV for an opinion and opinion only but do not rely on it or you will pay.

6. slider916

Ok.

Thanks.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Depends on the level of system protection both give.

For example, Spyware Doctor (with threatfire) and Emsisoft anti-malware (with mamutu) together, could cause slow-downs as both have a behaviour blocker checking system changes/modifications. Same with Kaspersky + Emsisoft, or Norton and Kaspersky.

Two with firewalls, obviously bad idea.

The ones that come to mind which are compatible with AVs would be running an AV with prevx, or Malwarebytes or Immunet.

Prevx seems to be the most compatible, I've found, Malwarebytes can provide the IP blocking an AV doesn't have, and Immunet, last time I used it, was quite light. But the pro version, unsure how it interacts with the system and another AV.

Without answering your question, it depends on the role/behaviour with each. Prevx checks executables, while an AV checks most files. Avast + prevx, MSE + prevx, MSE + Malwarebytes, prevx + Malwarebytes, seen a user on here with Kaspersky + Malwarebytes etc etc, guess you can try and see how they go.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I run Norton Internet Security 2010 as my main protection. I've experimented with a few products to provide backup "real time" protection, such as SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Threatfire, Immunet Protect, and Prevx. In recent months I've been running Prevx with SafeOnline (free Facebook offer). It doesn't add any noticeable overhead and has excellent detection capability. I also run Winpatrol for management of startup items and BHOs, but it is not an AV. Another really good program to run "real time" is Secunia PSI. It will alert immediately when updates are available for third party apps, such as Flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.