Multiboot Win XP C Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by maltam, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maltam

maltam Registered Member

I am testing your OS boot loader.

I would like to know if your software would allow me to install multiple Windows version and be able to boot them correctly. Each Win Installation should boot and be recognized as the C drive (Active, System and Page File under Windows).

I installed 2 versions of Windows XP on one primary and one logical partition, installed your OS Loader and was able to boot the first partition correctly. Boot the second partition left the first partition as the C drive. I attempted to hide this first active partition but was unable to. If your software can not boot and keep each Windows OS as the C drive then the standard Windows boot.ini file works the same.

I know the operating systems assigns drive letters to each partition as they are found but when reviewing the options for each OS your software found drive letters have already been assigned. Why?

Your software seems very flexible and user friendly but if it does not allow the boot process to properly hide or reassign drive letters then it can not be used.

Thanks

2. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

I had it setup so that | could install windows once, then duplicate this install onto multiple partitions... but still retain the original drive letter by hiding partitions...

The way I achieved this was to create a 100mb primary partition (c) for the boot info, then multiple (4) logical partitions (D).... when installing XP, I would choose to install to D.. this way the boot info remained seperate fromt he install.. and the D drive was were all the OS files went. I could then copy the D drive to any or all of the other partitions, and through hiding, each one would be D when booted into....

However, I had to manually edit the boot.ini file on C for the other partitions, as they are not clean installs, and so the boot partition knew nothing of them...

Hiding the partitions took me a short while to figure out... when you have the first instance installed.. you need to remove the folders from the OS propertis in OS selector, but dont delete them.. just remove them from the list. You need to do this for each of the copied XP isntances, otherwise you are not able to hide the others partitions.. windows does not like being able to detect multiple OSes.

Another couple of things I found necessary, was before copying the first original install, I had to disable System Restore.. as this too cause probs with the other Oses.. but I never use it anyway....

I ended up with my boot partition C, 4 XP clones which would all boot as D, which were copied from the original install on D. I basically took an image, or ghost of the d drive, then copied it to the other 3 partitions.

If this is what you want to achieve, it can be a bit tricky, but once you get your head around how it works.. its quite easy. Im sure Ive mentioned this a while ago in older posts, so do a search form my username...

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello maltam,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please take a look at the previous post mine. It describes the steps you should take in order to make your several operating systems to have the C: drive letter for the system partition.

If you encounter some problems with those operations then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.