Multi-profile PC's

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Would appreciate advice on the following.

Firstly, my PC is used only by my wife and me - just one admin account.
    Execution protection will stop any exe file being executed without my/our permission. That much is clear to me.

However, my son in law and daughter have a PC with four profiles. Theirs (admin) and two limited accounts for their teenage boys. They have a bit of a problem in that one of them has a bad habit of downloading dodgy files from games sites and/or other sites recommended to him by friends.

Were my daughter/son in law to purchase PG, would/could execution protection be enabled only in the admin account?... in other words would PG stop exe files being run from the limited accounts?

To rephrase it, by using PG could they stop the limited accounts from running dodgy files that they had d/l'd (unless they were executed from the admin account, ie with their parents permission.)

Hope my drift here is reasonably clear.
    :D

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Oreima, An administrator can stop limited users from opening new .exe,s etc. by using the account permissions.
    You can use "Block new and changed programs" in Process Guard, then use the password option to stop others accessing the PG GUI.
    I do know that the new version of Process Guard will be fully multiple account compatible & asume will be only changeable by users with administrative privs.

HTH Pilli.

3. Oremina

Pilli - As ever, many thanks for your reply.... will pass the info on. :)

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes the current version of Process Guard doesn't handle multiple users at the same time too well. The next version however fully supports it. The administrator is the only one who can change protection options, however each limited user is protected by whatever protection the admin has enabled and can also respond to new execution attempts.

5. Oremina

Jason - Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.