Multi-boot hide other OS partitions

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by unclebump, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclebump

unclebump Registered Member

Have a computer that has Vista x64, original system restore, win7 x64, and win7 x86 partitions. It was using Acronis for the boot manager. Had the typical trouble with mbr error 3 at times and always had to use the Acronis boot disk to reset the mbr. Great feature they have there. Long story short, the win7 partitions got screwed up by a bad driver install and would not bootup due to stop code 7b errors. Win 7 repair disk and DART 7.0 repair disk couldn't fix it either. Already had purchased Paragon HDM 11 Pro to replace the Acronis software for backups. Copied the three OS partitions to a usb drive. Restored them to a new hard drive with Win7 x64, Win7 x86, Vista x64 as the new order. Used Paragon Adjust OS to force the win7 systems to reset their drivers and now each of the OS will boot again. Happy as hell with that feature of the Paragon software, but I'm not as pleased with the Paragon Boot Manager.

I would like to be able to hide the other two OS partitions, while I am logged into a single OS. I would like to do this so the kids and viruses don't get into all 3 systems at the same time. I could do this with the Acronis boot manager software, but don't see this option in the Paragon boot manager software. The HDM 11 Pro manual mentions that this feature should be available.

From the manual at this link.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/export/sites/paragonsoftware.com/doc/manual_hdm11pro_en.pdf

"Boot Management
    Our program enables to easily manage several operating systems on one computer with the help of the Boot Manager Setup Wizard. Among the key features of the wizard the following should be mentioned:
     Up to 16 operating systems on one PC;
     Secure adding/removing of the Boot Manager startup record to/from the MBR;
     Auto Boot option to automatically start up the previously chosen OS after a certain time period;
    Hiding of any primary partition except selected at the moment."

I've booted from the Linux cd, the winPE cd, and the windows HDM11Pro software. When I select the option to setup the boot manager from the top menu, I never get a screen that asks about hiding the other OS partitions. I'm running the latest build from August and recreated the boot CD's from that build.

Does this feature really exist, or how do I get to a screen to set it up?? Love the Paragon software, but it seems like there are too many versions with similar features. I'm using HDM 11 Pro for home backup of a desktop, three laptops, and and the computers I fix for friends. Maybe I need a different version, or need to buy the Partition Manager software for the multi-boot desktop?

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

This feature itself is hidden :)
    'Find the file "bmw.xml" in the folder
    C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 11 Professional\bmw
    Open the file, find the line <HideOtherPrimaryPartitions_Win7/> and delete it.
    But please, be careful: this option is disabled, because Windows 7 is very often set to 2 partitions: one boot MSR (Microsoft System reserved) section, 100 MB, and another - the system actually files with the OS. In this case, the option "hide other system partitions" will make Windows unbootable.
    Before turning on the option, please make sure that Windows 7 is entirely located in one partition, without a small boot partition size of 100MB.'
    from http://sysadmins.ru/post9460846.html#9460846

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.