Mullvad very slow, AirVPN better?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JohnMatrix, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Registered Member

I've been using Mullvad for over a year and although I like it, the performance is degrading every day. The last few months download speeds have plummeted to around 50-100 KB/s, SSH disconnections, etc. It's really bad. So I'm planning on getting another VPN. Anyone got recent experience with AirVPN? I'm mainly using it for getting a new IP address. Download speeds are not really important but 100 KB/s is too low.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

BolehVPN is a good choice. I would say because if you have a problem with your connection that is limiting your speeds then BolehVPN support would be able to solve your problem, as they have the best support VPN wise.

3. JohnMatrix

Thanks I'll keep that one in mind

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There was recently a post saying that Mullvad is as fast as AirVPN!

o_O

5. Taliscicero

I'm sure it is. I believe he has an issue with his connection which is why i'm recommending BolehVPN as their staff and very quick to solve those types of problems.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

My speeds with them have been... inconsistent. Most of the time it's fine, but sometimes it does indeed lag and have connectivity issues. I wouldn't doubt they're taking on more customers these days and "maybe" haven't increased their server size/space to accommodate it. Since I think more people these days are educated as to quality VPN options.

I wouldn't doubt that their mail room is busier these days as well ; )

As for Air, I've heard nothing but good things about their speed, and service in general. For sure a quality option if Mullvad just isn't working out for you. And though I've never used Boleh, I have every reason to expect the same of them.

I consider iVPN a quality option as well. Even their double-hop service was extremely fast for me, and great customer service. Trustworthy peeps too, I found them to be. One of them created and told me about a nice DNS Leak Fix tool too that is handy, and answered several questions as well to help harden my setup from leaks. Dude seemed like a Wilders member really, eager to help, even enjoyed talking about the stuff with me. Treated me great.

If they offered a cash money payment option like Mullvad I'd still roll with them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  7. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

I second this! Have used all the VPN's mentioned and ivpn.net gave me the best speeds. Normal connection speed is around 25mbps (non-vpn), when using their CA server speed is around 22-23mbps and it rarely drops below that.

8. JohnMatrix

iVpn seems nice but it's also pretty expensive. I've switched to AirVPN and I'm impressed with the speeds so far (around 20 mbit). Thanks for all the tips, I'll keep iVpn in mind.

9. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

good choice

10. qwax

qwax Registered Member

As you can read here i use both, although Mullvad is in a vm and connects trough the host ( air vpn) so there may be some loss.??
    airvpn gives 10 Mbps ,( same as my isp) , Mullvad = 3.6 Mbps.
    Mullvad is consistently slow over the last 2 weeks.
    I did have some disconnect issues with airvpn ,not sure if that is an airvpn or comodo firewall issue though.
    No issues with Mullvad.

11. JohnMatrix

Small update, my linksys router apparently has problems with UDP openvpn connections. I've encountered low speeds with Mullvad and Airvpn when using UDP connections. I've switched to TCP and now I'm maxing out my internet connection. I need to do more testing but it seems like a Linksys problem.

So after all, Airvpn is faster but Mullvad is not so slow as I thought.

12. Taliscicero

Mullvad's servers all have packet loss problems for whatever reason. I also have to use and do use TCP all the time due to the fact it makes the connection work and not slow to a crawl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.