Mullvad Just Got USA Servers.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Taliscicero, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Why? All encryption gets vacuumed up regardless. They can either break it or they can't. Your mail is either PGP'd proper, or plaintext is PGP'd to your public key hourly - a server raid will yield little. IPs are stripped, alias' are plentiful, etc... You can sign up with Bitcoin, and always connect via VPN, using Thunderbird/Enigmail. You can delete your private key off their server...and not even use the key they generated for you (other than to decrypt plain text encrypted by them) if you want. Barring complete subversion of CM (which I don't believe has occurred, JMO, but I trust them) it is still a million times better than yourrealnameATgmail.com.

If your trying to put ficken laser-beams on the heads of sharks, just use Bitmessage to send a PGP message - works great.

PD

2. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy Registered Member

I'll admit, laser beam-equipped sharks would be pretty badass. :D

My disappointment isn't directed at Countermail. It's just me being naive and thinking maybe things were different, or "better" in some other countries, especially Sweden.

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I just tried Mullvad out and like the speeds and client, nice and friendly and simple. + has those dns/connection dropped options which one can tick.

So far am enjoying the speed and service, do you guys still suggest its best to avoid connecting to English speaking countries and to connect to Netherlands?

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I use NL or SE servers, they are the better servers Mullvad has.

5. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

6. pcdoctor36

pcdoctor36 Registered Member

This is fairly simple. The applicable laws are where Mullvad is orriginally incorporated. The US has no data retention laws. So all Mullvad has to do is throw a server up in the US that keeps no logs and they are home free. Any litigation has to happen where they are incorporated. It is really that simple.

7. Taliscicero

You must clearly not know what your talking about. I was thinking about just saying that sentence but let me elaborate.

I am a Swedish citizen, I come to America and commit crimes. I can't be taken to jail or arrested because I'm Swedish! Hooray!

No you simpleton, the servers are in the USA so they are subject to warrants or data retention directly from the server farm.

I don't know if your a kid or someone who just does not know what they are talking about, but stop posting. I have seen many posts from you which make no sense and are actually just plain wrong or misleading.

Please stop. :blink:

8. pcdoctor36

Well, I am not into a flame war. However, the US has no data retention laws, yet. This goes to analysis and thoughtful consideration of where any given company chooses to place a server. Nothing is simple. Sure any server can be seized with a warrant. They may not get anything other then the hardware but, it can be seized. We are in theory all adults here and realize Wilders is not a place to write a book. I am a US citizen and could easily put a server out there that kept no logs. I will however agree with you that I don't see a rational reason for a company like Mullvad to place a server within US jurisdiction. With DMCA considerations, what do they gain? Before you start throwing insults it might be wise to see where someone is coming from and realize that no one here is going to put up a book.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. Taliscicero

I won't go into it, but simply say. USA servers are subject to secret monitoring and logging practices, from the ISP from the server farm and from the direct backbone of the internet.

10. pcdoctor36

Sigh, conspiracy theory vs. known fact when we are in an age when conspiracy theorists are right more often then not. With bottomless data wells (Utah) and inline NSA communications equipment housed in all communications providers in the US nothing is completely safe. Other then pointing out the above you're right there is little profit in pursuing this further.

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not just the USA.

NSA monitors and logs everywhere it can. And wherever it can't, there are competitors that are skilled enough to prevent NSA access, and they are monitoring and logging themselves.

Are there places where nobody's monitoring and logging?

I rather doubt it :(

12. Taliscicero

We should stop responding to each other, I know we are going to have problems otherwise. Our personalities clash, its not good to continue.

13. pcdoctor36

@Mirmir, there are countries that have ruled data retention unconstitutional. If a lack of logging exists anywhere anymore those jurisdictions would be a good place to start.

14. They would be the biggest targets for NSA, remember they want in on everything and they usually get it too.

mirimir said it best, there is NO WHERE in the world who isn't logging something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.