Mulitple locations/domains, 1 control panel?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by tdg, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdg

tdg Registered Member

We want to purchase Eset NOD32 antivirus for all 5 of our locations (5 separate Windows domains). We want to control all 5 locations from one control panel.

Is anyone doing this with Eset?

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Yes I'm doing this. I have ERAS/ERAC installed on a central server and I then manage 122 computers across 6 sites (all separate companies, all belonging to a single parent company).

I have all the clients configured to communicate with my ERAS with a FQDN, whch menas the individual computers call my ERAS every 5 minutes looking for instructions.

Jim

3. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

You could also think about installing one ERA server on every location, and use replication to get all the data in one "upper" server. That way every client can be managed from one console, and every location can have it's own update mirror in the LAN.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

As has been explained, it is easy to setup one ERAS per location, have that location be the mirror for the workstations/servers in that location, and then have one "master" location -where replication of ERAS data is "passed up the chain". It is a nice and scalable solution.

Out of interest, how many in each location and in total?

5. tdg

tdg Registered Member

Ok. That sounds reasonable.
    We have 70 computers total. Smallest number is 9, largest is 21. We have a small, 6th location with a 4 PC peer-2-peer network.

Does the ERA come with the product (ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4, for example) or is it purchased separately?

6. jimwillsher

It comes free with the business version, which is min 5 copies, so you will be fine with that.

As others have said, either have one location managing them all or have ERAS at each location. The choice is yours. We opted for the former, primarily because most of our locations are laptop owners and the laptops are often out for weeks on end, so any ERAS comms has to be via FQDN....so it might as well be to a central location. But either way will work just as well.

Jim

7. tdg

tdg Registered Member

Thanks for the help.

Eset it is.

8. Luvvie

Luvvie Registered Member

This is exactley what I am aiming to do Can you explain a bit more about which ports you needed to allow through (e.g. 2221, 2222 any more?) and about editing polices and packages etc for this type of setup please.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

The ports are 2221, 2222 and 2223 by default, but you can change those if you want. Then you configure your router to pass those ports through to the ERAS machine from outside and it pretty much takes care of itself.

Either contact ESET or a reseller such as my company and a trial can be arranged. Nothing shows the product off like a trial! ;)

10. jimwillsher

We ONLY have 2222 open (via a high-numbered port on the router which we port-forward). Remote clients connect via av.mydomain.co.uk and they connect happily.

In terms of policies and packages, we're just using a simple method. I have a couple of packages set up, all for the same ESET version, but with a different config file.. That's because some of our sites go through a proxy and others do not. I then install the appropriate package on the appropriate client.

Jim

11. Luvvie

Luvvie Registered Member

I now have them working using the FQDN through the firewall.

My issue seems to be making a pcakage with these settings in them. When I install from the package I created the Primary Remote Administration server is just NTXXX (server NETBIOS name). I have to go in on the client and amend this to the FQDN of the server. How can I amend/create the package so that when it installs it has the FQDN od the Primary and Update server from the start without me having to amend it after installation.

12. jimwillsher

You need to create a package with your config file in it. In the config file (using the config editor) you can specify a primary and secondary admin server. Just put one of them as your FQDN. As you will only have one, it makes sense to put it as the primary.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.