Mulitple Firewalls, AV ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by redbaron_snoopy, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbaron_snoopy

redbaron_snoopy Registered Member

Is it possible, necessary or good to have 2 firewalls on a home PC ?
    I've NIS and I am also *thinking* of using Sygate.

Likewise for AV, I'll also *thinking* of adding AVG or AVAST!

Advice appreciated

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It is recommended not to use two software firewalls at once on a PC. The conflict/s could be devastating.

A hardware firewall combined with a software firewall, on the other hand, isn't bad at all.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As long as you set up the two AVs so that they are not performing the same functions at the same time, you're alright. That means, if you have the real-time monitor of one (Program A) on, the real-time monitor of Program B should be off. If you go this route - just be careful during the install phase since you may come up with a conflicting configuration after install/reboot. First figure out how you'll configure things, install the first program and basically disable it, then install the second one - you'll typically have reboots between installs - after the final install reboot, configure both to your desires.

You can have two AV's since the granularity of functions (realtime monitor, e-mail scanning, demand or scheduled scanning, etc.) is such that you CAN generally turn-off the overlapping and conflicting functions. You can't do this with software firewalls since they really just have one function which is either there or not.

Blue

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Detox - True. :D And If your using broadband, having both are a must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.