MSXML 6 update

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by emmjay, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have version 4.0 SP2 and SP3 installed which Secunia says is EOL. I was never sent MSXML v6 (Parser and SDK) by windows update. Version 6 has been available since 20/7/2014. Has anyone here received V6 from windows update?

Edit #1: Maybe I am wrong about it being an update. I read that it is in addition to V4. Unsure whether to uninstall V4 (EOL ?, could Secunia be wrong).

Edit#2: I have been searching everywhere for a definitive answer. MS and Secunia are very confusing. I found this blog and has a good explanation as to what is going on.
    https://altonblom.com/

As anyone who's been following my journey with MSXML 4.0 you'll be glad to know that there is a definitive answer from Microsoft. All versions of MSXML 4.0 (including SP2 and SP3) are no longer supported, and will no longer receive security updates (from April 2014). My advice…

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Final note on this. It appears that V4 is required by some programs, but there is no list available for you to check. They will crash if you uninstall V4. To date there also appears to be no vulnerability in V4.30.2117, however it will no longer receive security patches and may eventually become vulnerable. Version 6 does not replace any of the previous releases. It is not an update to V4.

Maurice Joyce (poster) supplied this, fyi...

MSXML 3 & 6 are required & preinstalled by MS in Vista, Windows 7 & 8 & still supported.

MSXML 5 is for MS Office 2007 users only.

MSXML4 is standalone & is EOL/DISCONTINUED/DEAD/UNSUPPORTED

Many Secunia users are ignoring the EOL at this time due to the above status info.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.