MSoft going to produce security products

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Paul Wilders, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Microsoft has established a new Security Business Unit (SBU) under the direction of Vice President Mike Nash.

The new SBU will develop a line of security products and solutions for desktops, servers, and networks. The SBU will first determine what types of products and services customers need and then be responsible for delivering those solutions.

To date, Microsoft's only security product is the Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA), which Microsoft says "integrates an extensible, multilayer enterprise firewall and a scalable high-performance Web cache." Microsoft also offers a security tool, HFNetChk, which lets users scan systems to determine which service packs and hotfixes are installed or missing. The company has also said it will produce a tool called Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), which is a combination of its current HFNetChk and Personal Security Advisory tools. No information is currently available about whether the SBU will take charge of developing the MBSA tool.
    ------

source: wininformant.com

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Now THERE'S a company I eagerly await "security" products from.  :eek:  
    I also can't wait to get in touch with my broker and load up on Enron stock!  :D

John

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Plz ad me to the list that will not buy anything from this line of "spy-curityware"... thanks in advance.

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Mickey$oft and security on the same line ?

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

One day, Microsoft and the Moon will mate and produce asteroids as their offspring.

No...wait...it's already happened!  (Only, for asteroids, read hemharoids!)

6. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

I'm with MTM. Every time I see Microsoft and security (oxymorons) in same sentence I gag. <gag> :rolleyes:

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

<sarcasm>I'm EAGERLY looking forward to Microsoft's new security products. Who knows, I might even buy 3 COPIES of each for each of my computers!</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, I DO believe it would be in Microsoft's (and our) best interests to build up a security division in the company - but I have one minor suggestion:
    -Why not try enhancing the security of the REST of Microsoft's products FIRST?

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

There's a good point I hadn't thought of Java... Anyone who knows anything about this stuff at all (even as little as me) know that you don't want security software from MS because all their stuff spies on you. Even my Age of Empires II game.. I had to tell ZA not to let it acess the internet because every time i started it, the game would try to access the internet. It was not an update ANYTHING. Bad thing is, plenty of people have no idea and will buy anything MS makes because they think it will always work better since Windows is from MS...

Hmm i changed subjects in the middle of that paragraph out of being upset about that game.. so point is Java is right... they should have a security division alright, but it should ONLY be making the products they already sell secure to begin with.

9. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

One good thing is that Mike Nash won't have far to walk to find himself some customers for the next year !!!!!! :D

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

nope lol just another way for microsoft to spy on you like its qmgr.exe

i think bill gates is a perve i belive are computers are loadeded with microsoft spyware.

quote:

Microsoft also offers a security tool, HFNetChk, which lets users scan systems to determine which service packs and hotfixes are installed or missing. The company has also said it will produce a tool called Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), which is a combination of its current HFNetChk and Personal Security Advisory tools.

Translation:

what microsoft spyware are you missing lets help you fix it by puting it back in for you lol=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.