msoft antispyware or spywaredoc

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maddawgz, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi i was wondering which is better to have running for real time gaurd spywaredoctor or msoft antispyware thanks MD

2. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

Depends if you want to pay or not really. Spyware Doctor is a good app if you want to shell out $30 or so. But if I were to pay for an antispyware, i'd choose Counterspy, or Spysweeper. Windows Defender is a great free product though.

At the current moment i'm testing out SpyTerminator which was once blacklisted. So far so good.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you want the reliable paid AS, then Spyware Doctor is the right software.
    If you want freeware, even Spyware Terminator is better than Win Defender.

4. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

Ah.... but Spyware Doctor has a free version in which its realtime protection will not expire.
    http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor/3000-8022_4-10377263.html

I would probably go with SD's free reatime protection over WDefender's realtime protection. I've heard a lot of bad stories about WD and how much better MSAS was. I would probably keep WD as a back up scanner though, to run manual scans with. JMO.

5. TairikuOkami

Interesting, unlimited trial, although: "This time-unlimited trial version does not remove existing threats during scans, but real-time detection and removal of incoming threats is enabled."

MSAS was renamed to Windows Defender in new version, so it is actually the same, no?

6. maddawgz

thanks i have payed version anyhow interesting they offer unlmited trial thou for real time protection....... so if ur pc is clean wtg !!! MD gonna have a peek at SpyTerminator i see the comparison chart makes it better then spydoc and it also found a trojan that spydoc didnt hymmm now which is better spydoc or terminator?? lol

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  7. TairikuOkami

If you want some free on-demand scanner without realtime, which removes junk: Dr.Web for viruses, A-Squared or Ewido for trojans and SuperAntispyware has great spyware detection.

8. maddawgz

Hi TheTom prob realtime i need trying this terminator out seems ok seems to say it offers more then spywaredoc

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

HI, if u want to apy I can surely say SpySweeper is best, much better than spyware doctor( i tested them personally aginst some spywares).
    I put SpyWare doctor free in real time but the problem is that it takes ages to load on start up that I hate. Also its windows start up monitoring is poor. Moreover it tries to remove spyware in real time but no way to control it( it will either delete it or not- no option to do in an interactive way, so if a false positive u may loose something). With all this it pops up taht it disabled but still programmes succede to install them and if u rurn off spyware doctor for a while, the spyware will start running.
    SpySweeper stops the evil in the bud, moreover it goes beyonf this and stops ur access to malware sitse via its web communication shield( this function is there also in spyware doctor but seems better in spysweeper).
    For free real time scanners, Windoes Defender is just average( seems to catch around 60 % malware in my experience). Spyware terminator is really so good in real time that I think it,s better than spyware doctor in this regard. I am surprized why it is free but really u can,t trust them still. Anyway it seems nice software.
    For on-demand scanning SuperAntispyware is simply the BEST. plus Ewido.
    Having said all this I will sya if I have to buy, I will buy SpySweeper with on-demand scan with Ewido free. Otherwise I use Windows Defender with on-demand SuperAntispyware, Ewido and SpuAudit.
    ( BTW, windows Defender has many function in advanced mode- new start enteries, new services, installation of new drivers etc and it tell u about new installation that they are well known or unknown acc to its ?data base/ spy community.I hope it will improve in time).

10. maddawgz

Hi aigle i bought spysweeper webroot one u suggsted giving that a whirl now hopefully better then spyware doc and terminator i have the gaurd on too cheers MD

found this too using it
    Also sweeping: Memory, Cookies, Registry
    Adware found: redswoosh
    Trojan Horse found: trojan_backdoor_bifrose
    Spy Cookie found: rambler cookie

all others missed them !!

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Microshaft Windows Defender is totally useless, if you want the old Anti-Spyware then you should definitely use it.
    Spyware Doctor is one big False Positive.
    Go with ewido.
    Mrk

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hope u will like it. I have run its trial for sometime and can say it is simply the best AS( I have used trial versions of spyware doctor, Counterspy, PestPatrol. ZeroSpyware etc in the past).
    U can use Ewido free with it as on-demand scanner.
    BTW, take care about what u delete with any scanner- as a general rule.
    Best wishes.

13. maddawgz

thanks for that ...i have noticed a fight on start up between Trend and Webroot though oh well no drama just a error noise on start up maybe one is trying to load faster then the other.. MD

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what do people think of the new ewido 4.0?

15. maddawgz

i use there online scanner..but i duno how it missed those 3 that Spysweeper found hymmm.i still like it thou. . MD

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, it looks good also.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Trendmicro AS or AV?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

"Totally useless?" Seems an extreme statement. I'm no MS Defender zealot, and I know its not perfect, but why do you say its totally useless? Links to some test data would be nice...

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've never seen any good test of AS scanners and certainly not like av-comparatives.
    I think that everybody is GUESSING which AS scanners are better than others.
    I don't see any scientific proof, only personal opinions and experiences.

If I say "MS Defender" is crap, members will agree or not agree.
    If I say "MS Defender" is good, members will agree or not agree.
    So whatever I say about any AS scanner, I get the same reactions.
    I consider all these discussions about AS scanners as a social chat.

On my computer all my AS scanners don't detect anything, except MRU lists.
    They can't find tracking cookies, because I run CCleaner first.
    I waste my time on running them and they all tell me that my computer has no malwares, but they don't tell me what they didn't find and maybe my computer is infected.
    You must be credulous, when you believe these scanners.
    "No threats found" is more a psychological message of a scanner to comfort people and certainly not a scientific proof, that your computer is clean.

My completest and fastest AS scanner in the future will be a clean snapshot of my system partition

20. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's my personal opinion, like everyone's here.
    I installed it on 3 pcs, on 2 it would not ever complete a scan, crashes one of the machines. On the third, it just said there, daintily, making update errors once in a while. Well, if you have too many resources and need to use them somehow, installing Defender is a good way to go. It will surely take them, without doing anything else.
    Mrk

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Tried it on three PCs for sometime, faced no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.