MSN lost my list of Favorites

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dcdc, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I use Verizon DSL, which comes with MSN Premium. Quite a few times I have gotten this window stating "MSN has encountered a problem and needs to close", why I have no idea. The most recent time it happened I lost my extensive list of Favorites.

Oddly enough, this list is stored on MSN's computers, not my own. I found that out when I had a hard disc crash and lost everything, or so I thought, but lo and behold, when I installed a new hard disc and got running again, my Favorites were back, much to my surprise, and delight.

I called Verizon tech support (now apparently in the Third World somewhere), which connected me to MSN tech support. They told me to run this program to restore them, but it didn't work.

I called back a couple of days later, and they had me run the program again. Same thing. This time the tech support guy said the fix did not work because I had added some new sites to the Favorites list, had overwritten the previous list, and therefore the original list was completely unrecoverable.

OK, so it's my fault, but wouldn't you think MSN/Microsoft would have a better system in place so that I would either be warned or prevented from adding to the list of Favorites when I experienced this sort of failure? It's not really rocket science, is it? And shouldn't they have a more robust backup or archiving procedure? As far as I know, I would have no way of backing up the list myself without going into some elaborate procedure that I couldn't write. After all, the Favorites do not reside on my machine!

I'm really bullshit about this, but there is nothing I can do, although I have to admit, the idea of using Firefox is more appealing than ever. Does anyone know how they handle Favorites, as far as backups go? I hate to have to learn another browser, and Firefox is far less secure than its supporters sometimes claim. From what I have read, malware is mostly written for IE because it is the most commonly used browser, not because Firefox (and other browsers) are inherently more secure.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Create a folder in My Documents or a floppy or whatever, and export your favorites or bookmarks to that location. Save the favorites as an HTML file. You can then import that bookmark file into any browser you care to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.