MSIE. . .I can't customize Internet Security

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Ahamay17, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahamay17

Ahamay17 Registered Member

I can customize all of the other options under ('Tools' 'Internet Options' 'Security' tab) Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Resticted Sites.

The computer was formated and everything re-installed, except the security items. When I got it, it had been online for a few days (Luckily on dial up) without any protection, and had been infiltrated by every nasty imaginable.

As best I can tell I have returned everything else is back to normal.

If anyone can help,
    Thank you. . .

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Can you give a little more information? If it says "custom level", press the "default level" button and change it from there.

3. Ahamay17

Sorry. . .I meant to include this in my OP

I can't customize it because the 'Customize' button is not available. The default level slider appears to work, but I really need to be able to customize these settings. . .

Thanks

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Ahamay17,

If you have SpywareBlaster installed, you can use it to set IE's security levels in the Internet Zone. If you do not have it already, you can download it from here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

Install it, open it and update the definitions (last update was 12/24/2004), then enable all it's protection.

Then if you see the "Internet Explorer Security Alert!" warning (see 1st pic below) click the link in the warning box, and then click the "Set Recommended Values" to set IE's Internet Zone to a more secure setting (see 2nd pic below).

Some anti-spyware tools do have the options to set restrictions on IE's control panel. You might want first check your security apps and see if you have set such restrictions yourself.

Also, some spyware/hijackers do put restrictions on IE's control panel, you might also want to scan with a trusted anti-spyware program such Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search&Destroy. If you already have both those programs, then make sure they are up-to-date and try scanning with them while your computer is in Safe Mode.

If you are still having trouble accessing IE's customize button, I would suggest going to one of the spyware cleaning forums and post a HijackThis log for review. Two of the bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than many others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com.

Make sure you read their posting guidelines and instructions carefully before posting a log.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

snap

Attached Files:

5. Ahamay17

Hi Snap, Thanks for the response. . .I had already installed and ran everything you suggested, in safe mode. The system appeared clean. Even the HiJackThis log showed nothing. (I wish I had logged it before I started cleaning, that might have shed some light)

I could not get the response as in the picture you posted no matter what I changed the settings in IE to, even when I set the security to the lowest settings possible. I am convinced some malware has spoofed the IE seetings. But, unfortunately the person I was trying to do the fix for lost patience and wanted her puter back.

I was between a rock and a hard place, I know I shouldn't have allowed her to take it and get online vulnerable, but she is closely related to my boss, and. . .well. . .I tried, but I gotta pay the bills too. . .

Just tryin to do what I can, but failing miserably :rolleyes:
    Ray

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've had jobs cut prematurely like that, I wouldn't worry about it too much.. set up a time to do some maintenance, then you'll have a clearer picture of the user's needs and the issues they're experiencing. Just do some research and get it next time :)

If you don't already have one, you'll probably want to develop a strategy for getting all security in place before ever letting a freshly formatted comptuer online. Download all updates and service packs and have them on disk, prefferably slipstreamed, along with security software updates and definitions (if possible), and make sure that you don't ever connect without a firewall of some kind (whether software or hardware.)

I actually did pretty much the same thing with my mother's machine, that's one of the main things that brought me to Wilders. Now I can offer people at least reasonable security when I work on their machines (depending on the user's skill level and willingness to learn) :)

One thing you might consider for users that have money, take security at least somewhat seriously, and want the most transparent security possible is Qwik-Fix by Pivx (http://www.pivx.com) It's a system hardening tool that auto-updates. Along with an AV, firewall, and anti-spyware protection, it can give you a measurable increase in security with nearly absolute transparency. May not be as good as some of the more advanced security software out there, but it's good for people you could never get to use those more advanced tools anyway. I mention this because it would have taken care of the IE settings for you ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

No, you have not failed at all Ahamay. You did the best you could with the time you had available to do it in.

It does sound like your friend may still have something on their computer that isn't being detected with the regular security apps or HijackThis, and may need more specialized tools with instructions from a spyware expert to help reveal it.

Your friend may be back sooner than you think, then I would follow up with posting a fresh HijackThis log along with a description of the problem (you can give a link to this thread too) at one of the spyware cleaning forums I listed in my previous post.

Notok has given you some excellent suggestions too, so you'll be all ready and prepared when she comes back with more problems. ;)

Good luck, Ahamay17.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.