Mse, threatfire, winpatrol

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the dummy, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the dummy

the dummy Registered Member

Will mse conflict with threatfire, and winpatrol?

2. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

with threatfire maybe.. it's kinda outdated as well..

Winpatrol shouldn't be a problem..

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

WinPatrol and MSE work here with no conflicts.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

ThreatFire wonýt protect you against the latest rootkit using the rights of a user allowed to install printers (printer drivers), but then again the majority of security products did not protect against it.

My suggestion, use AVG and install identity protection. This former Sana Security (Primary Respond Safe Connect), was once the market leader before ThreatFire appeared. Now ThreatFire is not being maintained and PRSC bought by AVG (and hopefully well maintained) it is a good free alternative using it with AVG 2011.

AVG freebie was a bad choice, because of its lacking rootkit protection. The free version has got it, so it is my freebie choice at the moment (with Avast a close second).

Another benefit of AVG is that its spyware protection was based on Ewido. Today the Antivirus/Malware engine also checks registry access. To me this is a big benefit. Just have a look at MBAM (has a good registry anomaly detection) how important registry access evaluation in malware protection is.

So AVG2011 has Threatfire alternative in it (Identity Protection) and its capability of checking registry makes WInPatrol more or less redundant.

Regards Kees

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Kees, telling someone to change security solution for 1 specific threat which will be covered eventually by other solutions is advice I have always avoided, as I consider it to be utterly terrible.

For all you know, security solution XYZ will detect the next new threat ages before your recommended one, would you have users change security solution every time a new threat arises?

Although I agree with your statements of not using near-enough abandoned software, there should be a far broader range of reasons for one to swap, for example, consistently high detection results, broad range of detection capabilies (or "features"), forum/phone support, etc. Though, I guess that just brings you into A vs B and why the rule exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.