MSE bug?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by m00nbl00d, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was running the EICAR test for something... and MSE obviously detected it and I decided to clean the "infection".

I'm using Chromium as my web browser, and it's forced to download files to a specific folder. This folder has no execution rights.

I was going to get some download stuff from there, when I noticed the EICAR file (eicar.com) was there. I scanned the file with MSE and then it removed it. But, its real-time protection failed to delete the "infection", when MSE gave the alert and I chose to clean.

Windows 7 Ultimate x86, by the way.

Could anyone confirm it? Somehow, I don't think this is its normal behavior? I don't know... it never detects infections. :blink:

2. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I'm using Chrome (not Chromium), but thought I'd test anyway.

MSE had no problems with the file (Also set to download to a specific directory), EXCEPT for the zipped versions. MSE would detect it, offer to clean, and then clean. However, the zip file would remain. I had to manually delete it.

As I said, the unzipped version was no problem.

For what it's worth...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This has been brought up before, if I remember correctly it was a known issue with Chrome because of the way it downloads files and skipping some API call, files may not be scanned straight away.

Either that or maybe you disabled a setting in MSE? I'm not too familiar with it to be honest. I just install and forget.

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

You need about 30 mcg/day of that (chromium)...good stuff!

5. m00nbl00d

No, I haven't disabled anything in MSE. I installed and forget it's there. :argh: The test wasn't aimed at MSE, but a Chrome extension (BitDefender TrafficLight).

I truly don't know if it has anything to do with any of my O.S or browser tweakings, hence the reason I decided to ask.

6. m00nbl00d

Interesting... Maybe it has to do with the way I have my O.S and browser set. :doubt:

Anyway... even if in case of a real infection MSE fails cleaning (something I download with Chromium)... upon execution (if such was/is allowed) it would act accordingly...

Interesting behavior, IMO...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.