MSE beta v1.0.1963.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by elapsed, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

You mean to say that if I browse a folder full of malicious executable files, then avast! or NOD32 won't give any sort of alert? This is certainly not what my experience has been with avast!. And if MSE takes much more time for on-access scan of executables then they should have a solid caching mechanism in place.

Sometimes I wonder if my usage of CCleaner every time I power off my system has something to do with this repeated on-access scan by MSE as CCleaner might be emptying some of the places where these cache files are stored.

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I'm sorry if I was unclear. What I wanted to say was by default the 'file/on-access' guards of Avast5 and NOD32 don't scan 'runtime packed' files. But these files are usually scanned by their (high/sensitive) web guards which MSE lacks.

Scanning of runtime packed files on-access does hasten identification of malicious files but is heavy on system resources. If you run the packed file it will unpack itself in memory anyway.

The 'transient' cache empties itself every boot so what you're seeing is normal. Let's hope MSE devs add a 'persistent' (permanent) cache to its 'on-demand' scanner in the next release.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a puzzle for you, 2 identical Sony Vaio CW series machines. Both with a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. One shows the on-access lag while the other does not. Replaced MSE with avast! on the one which had the lag, running fine on the other machine, no lag whatsoever.
    Someone on this forum rightly said - MSE is simplistic only from the GUI side.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's been a while since I tried MSE. Did they ever fix the issue where it wouldn't update after coming out of sleep mode (assuming defs were > 24 hours old)?

5. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Did they ever fix the issue where MSE won't install on some computers?

6. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

As in same hardware and software setup? It could be a possible conflict with some other security app or borked install of MSE. Might need to use Process Monitor to see what MSE is continuously scanning; perhaps an audit/logging software. It's best to contact MSE support.

7. buckslayr

I want to give kudos to MSE support. I'd been having trouble installing MSE on my laptop (XP SP3). It installed perfectly on my daughters desktop (WIN 7 Ultimate). I kept getting an error code on installation. After several back and forth emails with MSE support I received a phone call tonight from one of their engineers. He spent over an hour and got everything rectified. This might not seem like a lot of time except for the fact that it is a free product. Thanks MSE support!!!

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes, free support for a free product is amazing. But I must ask, what was the issue that you managed to resolve?

9. buckslayr

A previous install/removal of MSE was preventing me from installing again. There were some hidden registry entries that needed to be deleted. The support engineer also ran dial-fix. About an hour to an hour and a half total. Running great now.

10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

it seems to be an maintenance update and nothing more,wonder why then MS have launched a public beta?

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Guys , you should understand that MSE is not free product , or at least it is not free support . MSE is free for clients of Microsoft - people who use their main and best seller product - Microsoft Windows operating system.

In case you have paid for the OS , you get the product . Additionally , the support is no direct charge because they are the biggest , number 1 , top software company worldwide. It is all about reputation . Imagine what would happen if someone says they don't want to help him. What a shame would it be .

Sorry for the off-topic . Just wanted to point out that MSE is a bit different that the other free av options and products.

12. buckslayr

Most of us use a Microsoft OS. I guess I look at getting more value. Call one of the large AV software companies and tell them you want free support. You paid for their product right?

13. elapsed

Your post totally contradicts itself. You say it's not free then you say it's free because it's a big company? What ARE you trying to say? That a portion of the O.S. we paid for was for MSE? So that everyone is paying for MSE and not using it? Rubbish.

Microsoft can afford free support because they are huge, and that's what it is, free support.

14. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Go tell this to those guys lol

15. OPSWAT

OPSWAT Registered Member

16. elapsed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.