MSE and MBAM Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by buckslayr, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Anyone using this combo? Thoughts?

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It works. Sufficient protection!
    I wouldn't use it though. Too much load on my HDD.

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed.. too much load

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah, but of course. Computer resources exist to be used. Therefore, if anyone feels this combination suits them (it does in fact provide excellent protection), it should be used.

5. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

I wouldn't consider that a sound argument for using a heavy setup. Resources exist to be used in a meaningful way. Meaningful as in everything but your security setup. Most people don't run their computer to stare at their elaborate security programs all day. They simply want to edit photos/video, browse the web, play games and watch movies.

I have not used the pro version of MBAM however I hear that its on demand scanning is a lot more powerful than the real time scanner. Maybe it would be best to turn off the real time shield and simply run a full sweep every night.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely agree. Just because I have a lot of resources to use, doesn't mean I want them all hogged up by one or two programs, sure as hell not security programs. I enjoy MBAM as an on-demand program, but its real-time module sucks. God help you if you also turn on IP blocking.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with dave even if i l really love Mbam Pro as a real time but it is very hoggy and i mean it:D

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

:D :D :D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: makes any computer look like a 75 yr old man:mad:

9. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

When it comes to security programs I wouldn't worry that much about memory usage but processor time and HDD access [I/O] those to factors are the ones that can slow your computer to a crawl.

Nowadays, especially since the introduction of Windows Vista the majority of PCs and laptops come with 2GB RAM [32-bit OS] or 4GB RAM [64-bit OS] so there is plenty of memory for your programs to use.

I have seen that even the more resource hungry Anti-Virus and Security Suites do not use a whole 1GB RAM but less than that. However, I have seen AVs that use more processor time and access the HDD more often and more notorious than others.

MSE has a problem that MS has to fix and that problem is that MSE scans inside archives even when the contents have not been extracted; differently from other AVs that only scan the contents of archives upon extraction precisely to avoid system drag. In the next version of MSE, MS should give the user an option to disable that feature.

In regards to MBAM, I have the paid version but I only use it for on-demand scanning every once in a while. Tried on-access scanning once but man, it sucks up resources that practically freezes my PC and I can't do anything else. So keep it as on-demand scanner for the time being.

Regards,

Carlos

10. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

MSE is also a resource hog. At least it was on my boxes. I agree, MBAM real-time is very heavy but worths it. When I throw some malware samples to my setup, MBAM will kick in first. About IP blocking I wouldn't worry that much. I've had to turn it off a few times when surfing non-frequent sites. IME, it's proven to be powerful and certainly a great companion app for any AV.:thumb:

11. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I have used MSE with MABAM for a week or two it feels heavy . If i really wanted to use something with MSE it would be Prevx saffeonline (facebook edition) or sandboxie. MSE beta is real nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.