msconfig - System Configuration - Access Denied As Admin

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

A friend's box I was working on under msconfig says Access denied, and may need to logon as Admin. Funny thing I am logged on to an Admin account and it does let you make changes, but it keeps popping up a message window.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4466/68567565jo1.jpg
    denied.jpg

Possible account corruption, how should I fix this?

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  2. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Hi DasFox,

Are you able to make changes if you use a different account (like Administrator, or any account that has administrator rights)?

3. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Your friend's computer doesn't happen to have an HP printer installed does it? If so then see this, How to Fix Access Denied Error in MSCONFIG. My father had the same problem on his computer. He could run msconfig but when he changed items in the startup list it would give him the error about needing to be an admin even though he was an admin already. However, it would go ahead and make the changes he had set. The popup was really just an annoyance and didn't really affect anything. The only thing we could find after some research that his PC had in common with other people having the same problem was the HP printer driver issue. Be advised that he did not institute the fix given on the link I gave you which involves editing the registry, so do some more research and use it at your own risk. He basically just decided that no more often than he runs msconfig he could tolerate the popup.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

YEAP DAMMM HP :thumbd:

Where's my FRIKKIN gun....

THANKS I'll read that to fix it....

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

# Click on Start, Run
    # Type REGEDIT and Press Enter or Click OK
    # Click on the Pluses (+) next to the following items in the left column of the Registry Editor

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    * System
    * CurrentControlSet
    * Services
    * PML Driver HPZ12

# In the right-hand column find the key named Start and double-click on it
    # Change the value in decimal to one of the following

2 for Automatic
    3 for Manual
    4 for Disabled

Well gee I don't know it would of been nice if they gave us some insight into this and said PICK and do this rather then say change to one of the following.

It's on 2 now so it's either 3 or 4 anyone know if it's going to make a difference either one?

Then this is mentioned:

If you wish to have the added functions that the PML Driver HPZ12 offers, my recommendation would be to uninstall any HP printer software, then use the steps above to access the PML Driver HPZ12 key and delete it completely before reinstalling your HP software.

Well I did uninstall all the HP drivers, so I'm going to just delete this key for now...

THANKS

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I deleted it and it's not working....

Errrrrr

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

DasFox,

As I said I never wound up trying the fix as my father just decided to deal with the popup about being an admin, but I looked at the site and it seems they recommend setting the HPZ12 to manual so you can still run it when you need it but the rest of the time you wouldn't get the popup.

From the website:
    It appears the PML Driver HPZ12 service handles non‑printing related two-way communications between the PC and the HP printer. These tasks would include things like low ink level information, and on All-in-One HP devices it would include scanning options and such between the printer and the computer. So, although you probably don't want to disable it, setting it to manual would solve the MSCONFIG error and still allow you to scan and accomplish other tasks with the printer.

Since you deleted the entry completely and it didn't fix the problem though, maybe you have another problem instead/also. If you Google MSCONFIG ERROR ADMIN you will find several sites concerning HPZ12 and other suggested fixes. Sorry I couldn't be any more help. Maybe some more knowledgeable members here at Wilders will pop in and give you some more assistance. Good luck.

edit:typo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've had this error in the past. Just happened one day, an annoyance, nothing more. Have only found out by reading this what the probable cause was.
    It hasn't happened for a while, and I think the last or second last software update from HP may have fixed it, but I wasn't investigating or troubleshooting it so don't know. Just seemed to coincide with the approximate time it stopped doing it.
    (Don't use msconfig every day, or even every week, so that's how approximate that is.)

9. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thanks I spent hours yesterday trying to reinstall the damm drivers so I just left this...

HP = PAIN... :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.